New Year - Diets

Holy moly, that's basically starvation. I imagine it works to lose weight but it's certainly not healthy.

Its not healthy being fat, or over-eating, so any diet should be healthier than no action.

The 5:2 diet is meant to be healthy; years ago there would have been days when there was very little food, we dont get that these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet

Its not healthy being fat, or over-eating, so any diet should be healthier than no action.

The 5:2 diet is meant to be healthy; years ago there would have been days when there was very little food, we dont get that these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet

Not exactly, a diet of this nature could be very dangerous. It uses laxatives and not eating for a period of many days as a means to lose weight.

I agree that the 5:2 diets are marketed as healthy but really you still need to have food and a balanced diet for the low calorie days. And even then it's only 2 days. Added to which the best 5:2 diet with high protein content will maintain muscle bulk which a starvation diet will most certainly not.

I did the two day diet and I would recommend that ahead of this for consistent and lasting weight loss.

Holy moly, that's basically starvation. I imagine it works to lose weight but it's certainly not healthy.

As Halibut says, its cobblers.

Its ' starve yourself, and take this snake oil garbage aloe vera supplement that costs a fortune'.

The only pounds that will vanish are those in your wallet!

What solitaire said.

Also, cut down on processed food and cook it yourself from scratch rather than buying ready meals with God knows what added. It is surprisingly easy to cook yourself something healthy, and you know exactly what is in it.

Avoid 'low fat' versions of food, they are often full of sugar and artificial flavours, the taste has to come from somewhere! Check the packaging, the less ingredients the better, especially the ones you can't read the name of.

If you want to lose weight in the new year:

1. Eat a healthy balanced diet

2. Eat LESS

3. Move MORE

I speak from experience. There's no quick fix. It's a hard slog but well worth it.

C xx

I'd suggest

1. eat a diet of REAL food (i.e. eliminate all processed 'food' and subsist off mainly plants (fruit, veg both cooked and raw) with, if you wish small amounts of animal produce.

2. eat MORE- once you're living off a plant based diet, as long as you're not adding overt fats to it, you will no longer have to restrict the quantities you eat. Long term 80-10-10 proponents (low fat, mainly raw, mainly fruit) for example tend to eat a minimum of 3000 calories/day and are all very lean.

The main problem with eating LESS (assuming the food you're eating is REAL food, plant based and naturally very low in fat) is that, especially if you have a history of eating disorders or of weight issues, is that feeling hungry is very dangerous for you- in a hungry state you're never far away from a binging session.

So eat as much REAL food as you want- if it's mainly plant based you're not making the mistake of adding loads of fat to it, your weight will gradually head towards the ideal.

3. Move more (we agree :)). But don't kill yourself- once you're eating REAL food, very little exercise is necessary- an hour of walking every day and a bit of callisthenics if you want muscle tone.

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 10:32 ----------

What solitaire said.

Also, cut down on processed food and cook it yourself from scratch rather than buying ready meals with God knows what added. It is surprisingly easy to cook yourself something healthy, and you know exactly what is in it.

Avoid 'low fat' versions of food, they are often full of sugar and artificial flavours, the taste has to come from somewhere! Check the packaging, the less ingredients the better, especially the ones you can't read the name of.

Spot on about avoiding 'low fat' versions of food- undoubtedly most of it is not only useless for weight loss (I doubt it's a coincidence that the rise in obesity levels pretty much matches the rise of low-fat crap being pushed in supermarkets) it's probably toxic as well.

Naturally low fat- as in fruit and veg in their natural state, is a very different matter, of course- that stuffs actually good for your health, and, if you live primarily off it, will lead you naturally to your ideal weight.