Violence on televsion and its effect on children

I agree with cgk. I was taught from a young age that telly was make believe and always interpreted it as such.

Flawed argument!

First, not all TV is make believe.

Second, good fiction (which some TV drama and films are), make you suspend your disbelief, so that (during viewing at least) you allow yourself to become immersed in what you are watching and think it is real.

Finally...even if the viewer knows that what they are watching is fiction (rather than reality), it does not follow that it cannot affect their perception of, or attitude towards, violence.

In your opinion do you believe that violence shown on television can have an effect on the behaviour of children?

Absolutely Lucy :nod:

And this is a HUGE bug bear of mine...

The level of casual violence that we see these days on TV, in cinema adverts, is not acceptable

It is desensitising our kids and pushing the boundaries to a precipice that I don't even want to consider :shakes:

---------- Post added 30-12-2014 at 23:16 ----------

I have to hide behind my hands at some of the adverts at the cinema these days!! I'm forced to watch...

Why do we have no choice in this any longer??

Really makes me feel ill :gag:

But then I'm a sensitive wee soul, always have been...

People shouldn't be 'hardened up' to accept this ****e

I don't think it really matters what is on the tv.

I think what matters, is that whilst the TV is on, the parents are engrossed and pay little attention to their children. To get attention children must then misbehave, for good behaviour is ignored. This encourage bad behaviour, e.g. violence, which is then carried on in later life.

I'd imagine, laptop/computers and modern phones have the same effect. Smartphones particularly.

I see very few people spend quality time with their children, for example reading them a book, taking them on a walk. Too much time is spent on isolated activities. Playing a violent computer game might not be so bad if it is multiplayer, compared to a one player game of sports or building/strategy, as one has real life social interaction and the other does not.

Agree completely with chem1st.

However, I also think that some children are inherently more vulnerable to being affected/influenced by what they witness on TV/video games, than others, in the same way that some adults are more likely to become gamblers or overeat.