Violence on televsion and its effect on children

When I was growing up, if there was say a criminal scenario in a programme

you could guarantee the baddies would be caught. My parents always told me it was to show that crime never pays.

When there was violence etc. etc. they talked me through it explaining the rights and wrongs.

Times have changed, we had only one TV in the house, we all watched it together and talked about what we were seeing, leaving nothing to be interpreted wrong.

Nowadays, kids even have TV in their bedrooms, allowing them to watch any old crap and forming opinions based on no life experience.

So, does it affect youngsters to see violence on TV, yes without a doubt, just like what they see in the home and outside affects them. The job for the parents is to help them understand the world as they grow and experience life.

Is this possible if they are experiencing it alone?

If viewing things on tv had no effect on the human persona there would be no need for adverts.

again adverts dont affect me

i dont go out and buy a sofa every christmas

i dont go out and buy car/house insurance or drink pg tips

if you DO need to buy car and house insurance they give you a company name which is a start

Thanks professor Alice, I appreciate the number of sources that support your claims :)

There is nothing flawed with my argument though, as a kid we only were watching the telly in the late afternoon, when it was kids' hour on our whopping 2 (later 4!) channels.

Batman (WHOOSH KAPOW BLAM) and Heman are easy to distinguish as make belief. I grew up with two brothers, if there was one thing that made us violent it was play fighting. Pure nature, hiding kids from violence is what creates disturbed personalities, not exposing them to a selective dose.

I do not dispute that what you may have watched as a child was more identifiably 'make-believe' than some of today's media output. My point was that it's illogical to use the argument (ie that what children see on TV is make-believe) when clearly (these days at least) it isn't.

Hope that helps.:)

Please explain what you mean by 'pure nature'.

Forced to watch? Does someone march you into the cinema? You are aware that you can live without a TV right?

To clarify, as you appear to have misunderstood (just as everyone ever feckin does in this place :hihi:)

When I go to see a movie, the adverts that play before the movie, tend to show a level of violence I'm really not comfortable with. Usually for some horror film or other....

So yes, Obelix, I am forced to watch these - and hide behind my hands, to prevent scarring of my brain with images I don't wish to see.

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 18:27 ----------

If viewing things on tv had no effect on the human persona there would be no need for adverts.

Exactly!

Why does no-one ever grasp this simple concept I wonder?