Ratting with terriers

Yes it is. There are humane ways of killing rats.

In answer to the original poster, foxes are considered vermin.

As for rats, a decent ratting terrier will grab them and shake - rats neck is broken instantly and it's as humane a way as possible to kill them. It's generally uneconomic to shoot them with a firearm as you need a lot of ammunition as there are usually hundreds of them. You can use an air rifle but a dog is quicker, more efficient and does a better job than an air rifle (I've shot a lot of rats and their brains are so small that an instant kill is quite tricky compared to a rabbit for example - it's perfectly possible to miss and require a second shot to dispatch a wounded rat)

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 02:08 ----------

They can (I think) be trapped and gassed, but I am not sure how humane that is, either.

It's not. If you are after rats in burrows then gassing is a bad way to do it and there is a lot of suffering. Ferrets can work, or dig them out and let a terrier loose.

Despite what some people may think, the best way of humanely dispatching anything from a rat to a deer is to hunt it down and put a high speed bullet in it;s brain - they won't even know what happened.

Regrettably that's not permitted for deer - it has to be a heart shot so the deer does survive for a few moments after the shot but the consequences of missing a head shot and wounding a deer - which will move off a lot faster than man can chase it is not good either.

Edited by Obelix

Foxes might technically not be vermin, but they certainly aren't cute. living near a new nature reserve in the Netherlands with a new local ban on fox hunting in that reserve, the fox population boomed and our village got overrun by them. seeing twenty mauled chickens with only one missing, cats bitten to death and left by the roadside to bleed dry, dead birds everywhere... you quickly realise that a fox is a killer, not a hunter.

Think its a shame that Fox Hunting is still allowed and people do it.

The Fox is a beautiful looking creature and is entitled to a life same as we humans.

Those that go in for Fox Hunting, ought to be in a role reversal situation whereas they become the hunted and are chased by a pack of angry foxes !

Rats are the only vermin that I have no sympathy for when it comes to killing them.......

having said that, I've never killed one myself but seen one or two being killed.

A company I used to work for back in the 70's, had a dept where a couple of blokes worked melting pots....ladling molten metal into moulds, there use to be rats running about, if the blokes saw them and were able to catch them, they would clout the rat with a shovel then whilst it was still alive ( but dazed ) chuck it in the melting pot.

Rats are bad because they are ugly?

Foxy woxy has a right to life because it's pretty?

Jeez.

By the same token, should we exterminate ugly people and just keep the pretty ones?

What a ridiculous hypocritical stance you take.

Rats are bad because they are ugly?

Foxy woxy has a right to life because it's pretty?

Jeez.

By the same token, should we exterminate ugly people and just keep the pretty ones?

What a ridiculous hypocritical stance you take.

If you can't say anything sensible then you should refrain from discussion......have I said that rats are ugly ?

Why am I ridiculous and hypocritical, I have my views just like you have yours.

In post 2, you write ' They aren't as cute as foxy woxy ' so kill away........then try to get at me because I've said they are a beautiful looking creature - which they are and they do have a right to live.

In post 16, you write ' Fox Hunting is great fun watching the dogs do what they were bred to do '

Strikes me that your not only demented and contradict yourself but also a Sadist, people like you who think fox hunting is great fun should be on the receiving end of being ripped apart by a pack of hounds and then see what ' Fun ' it is !

If you can't say anything sensible then you should refrain from discussion......have I said that rats are ugly ?

Why am I ridiculous and hypocritical, I have my views just like you have yours.

In post 2, you write ' They aren't as cute as foxy woxy ' so kill away........then try to get at me because I've said they are a beautiful looking creature - which they are and they do have a right to live.

In post 16, you write ' Fox Hunting is great fun watching the dogs do what they were bred to do '

Strikes me that your not only demented and contradict yourself but also a Sadist, people like you who think fox hunting is great fun should be on the receiving end of being ripped apart by a pack of hounds and then see what ' Fun ' it is !

You're happy to melt rats? Nice!

BTW my posts were partly sarcasm - "sar-chasm" it turns out. It is difficult to show this in posts.

Just to be clear where I stand with not sarchasm!

Rats are vermin - they need to be controlled. The kindest way to do it is with dogs. They break the neck and they die quickly.

Foxes are vermin - they need to be controlled. The kindest way to kill them is with dogs. They catch them and kill them quickly. There are no wounded animals left to die slowly from poisoning, trapping, bad shooting etc.

Dropping rats or foxes into melting pots is unpleasant and sounds cruel to me, although I don't understand your sport, I will leave you to decide for yourself.