R A F Norton Spitfire

For those of you who like me are aircraft nuts! here is the history of the Spitfire that used to be displayed on the gate at Norton Aerodrome.

It was a mk 24, service reg PK 724. This was one of the very last marks of Spitfire made, it first flew in Feb 1946 and delivered to 33MU at Lynham. from there it went to 9MU at Cosford in Feb 1950. It was delivered to Norton in late 1954 for instrutional purposes. When Norton closed, it went to RAF Gaydon as gate guardian untill May 1971, when it went to the RAF museum at Hendon, London, where it was extensivly restored and is now displayed there. It was fitted with a huge Rolls Royce Griffon engine developing some 2375 hp, five bladed propellor, and had four mk five cannon. It had a top speed of about 460 mph.

Ironically, it had only 7hrs flying time on it, it was overtaken by developments in jet aircraft, therfore never saw any service.

The plaque in the museum mentions its connection to Sheffield.

I can recomend a visit, very well worth while, it makes a great day out, a cheap National Express ticket to Golders Geen, and tube from there to the museum means a day trip can be done very cheaply.

• 6 years later...

I was stationed at RAF Norton from 1955 to 1957. The Spitfire was then placed outside the airman's mess. As far as I know it was still there when I left in 1957. I don't remember it being moved. As I was a cook I'm sure I would have noticed any movement. Hope this fills in a little bit more history for PK724.

For those of you who like me are aircraft nuts! here is the history of the Spitfire that used to be displayed on the gate at Norton Aerodrome.

It was a mk 24, service reg PK 724. This was one of the very last marks of Spitfire made, it first flew in Feb 1946 and delivered to 33MU at Lynham. from there it went to 9MU at Cosford in Feb 1950. It was delivered to Norton in late 1954 for instrutional purposes. When Norton closed, it went to RAF Gaydon as gate guardian untill May 1971, when it went to the RAF museum at Hendon, London, where it was extensivly restored and is now displayed there. It was fitted with a huge Rolls Royce Griffon engine developing some 2375 hp, five bladed propellor, and had four mk five cannon. It had a top speed of about 460 mph.

Ironically, it had only 7hrs flying time on it, it was overtaken by developments in jet aircraft, therfore never saw any service.

The plaque in the museum mentions its connection to Sheffield.

I can recomend a visit, very well worth while, it makes a great day out, a cheap National Express ticket to Golders Geen, and tube from there to the museum means a day trip can be done very cheaply.

I am a second world war airplane nut too!...............very interesting thread,will try to see it sometime!

My father took me to an air show at Norton Aerodrome in the early 50s and the most vivid memory I have of the visit is seeing the Spitfire standing just inside the main gate.

I seem to remember seeing a Vampire Jet there too but that could be my memory playing tricks. Can anyone confirm this?

A little bit of research produced this http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collections/aircraft/supermarine-spitfire-f24.cfm

I,m thinking this should be the aircraft you refer to.I have to say i also an aircraft anorack (lol) but up untill now i,ve mainly been interested in modern fast military types.That said during this summer i visited the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight at R.A.F. Conningsby and i,m sort of getting hooked on these old warbirds and taking a greater interest in them now.

Paul.

Hi, Peter,

Sorry to reply in this manner but I don't have enough posts to answer your message. I've looked at the names you told me about but unfortunatley I don't recognise the names. You didn't say what year it was. If it was the same time as me then I probably new them by sight, that happened a lot. You speak to people in the NAAFI but you don't know much about them.

Hi John,

Don't have enough posts yet to reply to your message. It's nice to talk to people who were in at the same time as you especially the same station and similar trades. Don't really remember the names but Cpl Johnston does ring a bell. I floated between the Airmans Mess and the Sgts Mess with regular trips with 3GRSS to RAF Worksop where I had to cook for the guys working there. We had W.O. Cross and a CPL Parker at the time we also had a very well built Sgt but can't remember his name. The trouble I find today is that people who done their National Service at that time are now knocking on and a lot don't have computers, so it makes it difficult to contact old buddies. Hope you see this, nice to have heard from you. Jim

Archived