R A F Norton Spitfire

I had a friend here in Florida, now deceased who told me he had a brother both Canadians who was stationed at Norton and flew out of Norton. They were both Hurricane and Spitfire pilots and the one I knew also flew Lancasters towards the end of the war. I've been told also that no aircraft flew from Norton, what is the truth.

I had a friend here in Florida, now deceased who told me he had a brother both Canadians who was stationed at Norton and flew out of Norton. They were both Hurricane and Spitfire pilots and the one I knew also flew Lancasters towards the end of the war. I've been told also that no aircraft flew from Norton, what is the truth.

I wonder if he meant Brize Norton.

911wasalie R>A>F>Norton sheffield was a non flying station the only thing flying out of there was helicopters the first one in 1955 a medical flight bring in a wounded soldier back from far east for treatment at lodge moor hospital sheffield for spinal injuries

your info could be correct as there is a lot of stations with NORTON in the title

the one we hear of most in these days is BRISE NORTON bringing our lads back from afganiston (TEARS IN MY EYES NOW)

If you get on to friends united site there is a list of all stations past and oresent

Hi 911 Wasalie,

There seems to be a lot of confusion whether RAF Norton had a runway. When I went there in 1955 I don't remember seeing a runway or any of the other tell tale signs like a Control Tower and supporting buildings. Even the hangers didn't look like your nomal aircraft hangers. If there ever was a runway it must have been grass and not very big. When I was there it was a non flying station under the control of 90 group which I believe was signals. A runway takes up a lot of space and if you look at a map of Norton and it's surrounding areas in Google, it is difficult to see where a runway would have been. hope this helps.

I know Canadians were stationed there during the war. my teacher, miss Kendall, was engaged to one and they took the whole class at St Mathias to Castleton one Sunday. He also, when I told him I came from Sheffield told me about his brother who was a bit of a renegade and could have landed there as a stunt. But I read it was a barrage balloon site during the war so although I believed him I wonder if he hadn't got mixed up with Finningley.

By the way anybody remember the Barrage balloon site in Meersbrook park near the museum.

Hi,

RAF Norton was definately a barrage balloon station during the war. The problem with your Canadian friends is that there were several stations with Norton in the name, like Brize Norton, Norton Disney, Norton Woodseats and Norton itself. I think they were all flying stations apart from Norton in Sheffield. The problem today is that we have to rely on peoples memory and I'm not sure that is very reliable after so many years. Jim

jasdell recieved your message hurry up and get some posts in (service)

and i will send you more info about norton and mr Reads book

Hi seem to have enough posts now. I found the book you mentioned and have sent an E-mail to mr Read. Hope he replies.

As I recall the old runways at Norton Aerodrome used to be always the first port of call for new would be drivers. I can remember going there for a bit of practice myself.

Hi Joan,

This is one old potty pensioner to another. I believe RAF Norton Woodseats was not far away from RAF Norton although I have never been there. Woodseats I am told was an airfield. At RAF Norton we used to guard the perimeter fence and compared to a station with a runway it was quite small. You didn't mention the year you were there.

Archived