R A F Norton Spitfire

1959ish. I was in the queue for my provisional licence on the 17th Birthday so about then.

I can only remember the name Norton being mentioned though, not the Woodseats bit. Perhaps I am way off course then :huh:

Joan you quiet right the old camp after it was close became a training ground for learner drivers, there was no runways as such as it was never a flying station but had a big lay out of very wide roads can not understand why it was closed down some time in the 90s ,again poss health & safety

• 2 months later...
There used to be an air show held at Norton in the 1950s. I remember going there as a kid, but I don't remember if any aircraft actually took off from there, or if they flew over from elsewhere.

My father used to take me to the airshow at Norton and any planes flew from elsewhere to do flypasts at the show. However I remember the Spitfire being parked just inside the main gates and also a Meteor jet also parked for close veiwing.

I seem to remember seeing a Vampire Jet there too but that could be my memory playing tricks. Can anyone confirm this?

On the subject of Vampires my father used to fly them in the 1950s. On the 22nd January 1957 he took off from RAF Oakington 9.15a.m. Soon after he had a engine failure (which i believe weren't uncommon in them days) due to the compressor blade disintegrating.

As ejector seats hadn't become prominent he had no choice but stay with the plane. The Vampire went down in some fields near some woods. Luckily he got catapulted out of the cockpit as the plane went up in flames. A farmer working nearby found him. Saved his life keeping his airways clear etc. Broke every bone in his body and never flew again but so lucky to be alive. However a good few of his friends didn't make it.

Saw this plane at Waddington and fell in love with its agility. Still goes like stink and gives me goosebumps as much as the sound of a Rollsroyce Merlin.

The Vampire fighter that Event Horizo mentions was one of the few early jets that had a cockpit too small to alow the fitting of an ejector seat, the cockpit was built of a plywood-balsa-plywood shell like the mosqito, his Dad was very lucky to get out of that in one piece. However, I have seen it at air shows and it is indeed a nimble little machine with the characteristic scream of the early jet engines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
My father took me to an air show at Norton Aerodrome in the early 50s and the most vivid memory I have of the visit is seeing the Spitfire standing just inside the main gate.

I seem to remember seeing a Vampire Jet there too but that could be my memory playing tricks. Can anyone confirm this?

Ooh! That brought back memories. Yes, I too remember the Vampire, seen on my way to visit grandma in Chesterfield. That must have been around 1957. Lovely aircraft.

Hi Joan,

This is one old potty pensioner to another. I believe RAF Norton Woodseats was not far away from RAF Norton although I have never been there. Woodseats I am told was an airfield. At RAF Norton we used to guard the perimeter fence and compared to a station with a runway it was quite small. You didn't mention the year you were there.

There were no runways in Sheffield anywhere until Shefield City, and that's been closed. Norton was used for a time as a bus skid pan, I believe.

Archived