Cyclist vs Landrover

A cyclist dressed in black, no lights, in the dark? On the road? Really?

There's a cyclist I pass most mornings (in the dark) on Quarry Hill. He wears a black cycling top with thin reflective piping and black leggings. He has long hair and black headwear (possibly a helmet or bandana, hard to tell what it is).

He does have two small LED lights attached to the handle bars but they either don't work or he chooses not to use them.

In addition to this there's a lad who cycles around Attercliffe in a black hoody with black bottoms, no helmet and no lights.

Frequently. I can't understand it myself, I wouldn't dream of going out after dark without lights.

Not every person on a bike is a "proper" cyclist though, if you want to use that term.

As for the suggestion that drivers should make flatbed trailers more visible, well, the cyclist should have been looking where he was going...

Really? I think your taking the defender of cyclists role a little too seriously if you don't think/believe this is common practice.

I get why a cyclist would have no front lights, technically he shouldn't need them as It's never going to be so dark that he can't see and he shouldn't really be in any kind of position or situation where he's needing a front light to announce his presence.

But if you jump red lights or do any kind of daft crap on a bike you takes yer chances and pays yer price. I can completely understand why he crashed into the joint between trailer and landy. He got the manoeuvre correct for what he expected to happen which was to nip through the red and behind the car but he was complacent and got seriously lucky. He'll no doubt play it safe for a few journeys but, old habits and all of that...

As for the suggestion that drivers should make flatbed trailers more visible, well, the cyclist should have been looking where he was going...

Brilliant idea, let's run it out fully, why have any lights whatsoever, if everyone looks where they're going why bother wasting resources making things look more visible?. Let's scrap headlights, they're only to stop the lazy bumping into things, if everyone just looks where they're going we won't need any whatsoever.

However, for any flatbed trailer owners who do have a rudimentary ability to think, and, who give a s*it about making their difficult-to-spot-in-the-dark-sideways-on trailers a tad more visible to any pedestrians/cyclists who may otherwise, through stupidity, laziness, or, in the odd case, genuine mishap, I'll re-mention that the pound shop does stock red bike lights, which could be attached down the sides of said flatbed trailer, thus making it much more visible.

They cost a quid each. Apologies to anyone who, for whatever bizarre reasons, finds it offensive when someone suggests cheap and easy ways of making whatever you're dragging behind your vehicles more visible.

Happy new year everyone, hopefully 2015 will see us continuing in the rich spirit of community, friendship and co-operation displayed so clearly in threads such as this :) :) :)

bonan novjaron

Brilliant idea, let's run it out fully, why have any lights whatsoever, if everyone looks where they're going why bother wasting resources making things look more visible?. Let's scrap headlights, they're only to stop the lazy bumping into things, if everyone just looks where they're going we won't need any whatsoever.

However, for any flatbed trailer owners who do have a rudimentary ability to think, and, who give a s*it about making their difficult-to-spot-in-the-dark-sideways-on trailers a tad more visible to any pedestrians/cyclists who may otherwise, through stupidity, laziness, or, in the odd case, genuine mishap, I'll re-mention that the pound shop does stock red bike lights, which could be attached down the sides of said flatbed trailer, thus making it much more visible.

They cost a quid each. Apologies to anyone who, for whatever bizarre reasons, finds it offensive when someone suggests cheap and easy ways of making whatever you're dragging behind your vehicles more visible.

Happy new year everyone, hopefully 2015 will see us continuing in the rich spirit of community, friendship and co-operation displayed so clearly in threads such as this :) :) :)

bonan novjaron

.....or the cyclist could have just obeyed the law and waited for the lights to change.

bonan novjaron

it is illegal to fit red lights to the side of a vehicle.

bonan novjaron

:D Nice overreaction there! That's the sort of response one could expect from a 10 year old...

The OP has said there are running lights along the side of the flatbed, so it is already lit. If the cyclist was making an illegal manouevre (and regardless of what you consider to be right, running a red light is contravening the highway code), then the consequences are down to his choices, not to any vaguely perceived negligence on the part of the driver.