Cyclist vs Landrover

Like many aspergics I have an infinite patience when it comes to finding the truth, and know from long experience that people often make claims without actual evidence (and often make false claims).

Yet despite being told at about post 78 where the law was, despite being told again where it was, your "infinite" patience meant I had to dig it out and show you, and even then you still complained it wasnt evidence of what was being said until people literally shoved it in your face.

You had no intention of finding out the truth, and went out of your way to avoid it, purely because it doesn't find your blinkered agenda.

Well I'm sorry but you got it handed to you this time. You were not man enough to acknowedge your mistake until people showed you, you didnt have the grace then to say so and waffled about a 1m rule (which doesn't actually apply to side lights either) and then bleated on and on and on and on and.....

...sory what were we talking about Got sidetracked by an irrelevant zealot's lighting campaign.

Oh yes. Cyclists running red lights. Don't do it people. Please. You might hurt yourself. Stay safe and happy cycling.

I didn't say that you couldn't be fit without cycling, that would clearly be nonsense.

If your SIL added cycling to his routine, he'd be even fitter than he is now (although already active and fit people benefit less by adding more exercise, law of diminishing returns). And cycling isn't in any way unique, any exercise increases longevity (on average). And they all come with risks. Footballing is a high injury risk, but low risk of being hit by a bus.

We can't talk about you and me though, it's really all about averages. I might get unlucky and be hit by that bus, you might live till your 100. I'm playing the numbers though, statistically, cycling is better for me than alternative means of transport (apart from maybe running, which I do to work 2 or 3 times a week as well).

It's not debatable at all, statistically. But you make your own choices, you can't live life by what is statistically the best decision to make, you can however understand it and take it into account.

You can get this cheap on kindle, I'd thoroughly recommend it, it's informed a lot of what I'm talking about here, although I haven't finished the book yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Norm-Chronicles-Stories-numbers/dp/1846686202

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 22:38 ----------

If you feel like trying to understand the topic more, instead of trying to score points...

Try that book I just posted a link to, it really is good.

Also

Have a think about this

http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/896396-risk-analysis-micromort-microlife.html

and these are for extra background.

Once you understand micromorts and microlives you'll be able to grasp what I was trying to explain.

http://nwurban.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/cyclings-impact-on-life-expectancy/

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1185.html

Hey. I'm glad I managed to fill your Saturday night. You really have a sad life don't you?

Cycling is not more healthy than not cycling. Jess Ennis seems rather healthy and she doesn't cycle. A healthy life style is healthy, and not riding a bike cuts down your chances of being knocked off a bike to zero.

Jessica Ennis cycles all the time. The fact that it's mostly on an exercise bike doesn't alter anything, the exercise and action is still cycling, it helps keep her rather fit.

Jessica Ennis cycles all the time. The fact that it's mostly on an exercise bike doesn't alter anything, the exercise and action is still cycling, it helps keep her rather fit.

I'd say it alters everything, it demonstrates how unsafe even some athletes feel cycling on our roads.

Hey. I'm glad I managed to fill your Saturday night. You really have a sad life don't you?

Are you just determined not to learn anything?

It didn't take me 5 minutes to find that, since I already knew what it said. How long has it taken you not to read any of it or bother to learn anything?

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 09:40 ----------

I'd say it alters everything, it demonstrates how unsafe even some athletes feel cycling on our roads.

Are you reading her mind, or did she tell you she uses an exercise bike because she feels unsafe on the road?

But not likely to get hit by a Landrover or have to breathe poisonous fumes whilst following a bus up Prince of Wales Road.

It seems she gets fit by exercising under controlled safe conditions in a gym, on a track, competing in heptathlons or running across the moors in Santander adverts.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 09:51 ----------

Are you just determined not to learn anything?

It didn't take me 5 minutes to find that, since I already knew what it said. How long has it taken you not to read any of it or bother to learn anything?

Folk have nothing to learn from you old chap.

Loving the stats.

But,

Are they calculated on deaths? There are many in-between injuries. Are these taken into consideration? Is it possible to take these into consideration?

Consider this.

When playing Russian roulette, as you do ;0), your chances of surviving are 5 in 6. Which are decent odds when playing with a water pistol but...........

Yet despite being told at about post 78 where the law was, despite being told again where it was, your "infinite" patience meant I had to dig it out and show you, and even then you still complained it wasnt evidence of what was being said until people literally shoved it in your face.

You had no intention of finding out the truth, and went out of your way to avoid it, purely because it doesn't find your blinkered agenda.

Well I'm sorry but you got it handed to you this time. You were not man enough to acknowedge your mistake until people showed you, you didnt have the grace then to say so and waffled about a 1m rule (which doesn't actually apply to side lights either) and then bleated on and on and on and on and.....

Grow up dude. I admitted the error, was totally upfront about it, which, on sf, is probably a first :)

If that's not enough for you then fair enough, not my problem.

Your assumption of why she mostly uses an exercise bike makes no difference at all. Even if that were the reason, nobody has claimed that cycling is 'safe'

Folk have nothing to learn from you old chap.

Not true. While me and cyclone may be at odds when it comes to the red light issue, the links he posted are actually very informative when it comes to supporting the fact that, overall, despite the risk from that segment of the motorist community that can't drive properly, overall, cycling extends life and health.

the links being-

http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...microlife.html

http://nwurban.wordpress.com/2010/12...fe-expectancy/

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1185.html

While some folks may have nothing to learn, due to the fact that they like to preserve the opinions they're comfortable with, rather than having them challenged by facts and reason, it's certainly not all folk.