Cyclist vs Landrover

Why don't cyclists have an mot for riding on roads?

You'd think there would be a minimum road safety requirement if they are going to use the roads

1. Lights

2. Reflective gear/accessories

3. Helmet.

There is another thread going at the moment where a cyclist has been cautioned by police for running a red light, so it seems the cops are being pro active towards road users who need to brush up on the highway code.

There is already a legal requirement for lights to BS6102/3 after dark, and reflectors to BS6102/2 front, rear and on the pedals

Anything else is akin to banning black cars from the road unless they are fitted with a hi-vis car cover

Helmets are another long discussion which is not resolved in multiple threads here and on cycling forums, so is not worth going into again here suffice to say that opinion both amateur and professional, is divided as to the merits of compulsory helmet wearing

None of the 3 things you mention would have made any difference to an idiot who thinks that red-light jumping is a safe option (and unfortunately there are a vocal minority)

Edited by Squiggs

I've just took the lights off. Means we don't have to worry about the colour, means I can catch more cyclists on red light and OWD and snailyboy have something to feel all outraged at. Everyones' a winner!

Outraged?

All I did was ask for further details, as we only have your version of events.

With the details coming out you may want to change the title of the thread to 'cyclist vs unlit trailer'

Outraged?

All I did was ask for further details, as we only have your version of events.

With the details coming out you may want to change the title of the thread to 'cyclist vs unlit trailer'

Oooh look as expected - there's your outrage :hihi:

Trailer was lit at the time of the crash. Beyond the legal requirements. But even if it wasn't - even if the lights were not fitted, even then I'd still be legal and the cyclist would still be wrong.

Am satisfied the op was in the right and did everything possible to prevent an accident. The cyclist was behaving recklessly in this case and was lucky to escape with his life. Lesson learned hopefully. Leave it at that.

No one accused, or implied, that the op was in any way at fault, at any point throughout this thread.

Oooh look as expected - there's your outrage :hihi:

Trailer was lit at the time of the crash. Beyond the legal requirements. But even if it wasn't - even if the lights were not fitted, even then I'd still be legal and the cyclist would still be wrong.

You have a very strange definition of outraged.

The OP was in the right. The cyclist was wrong.

Why do you keep repeating that? No-one's disagreeing with it.

It's been clearly stated several times that the OP did nothing wrong, and, that the cyclist was riding foolishly.

Yet people keep repeating "The OP was in the right. The cyclist was wrong." as if, there's some disagreement. Who do you think is disagreeing?

Woodhouse lane in Leeds by the Dry Dock.

That road must bring out the worst in some cyclists. My step-mum (a pedestrian, in her 80s) was knocked right off her feet by one there (again, he was jumping the lights) a few years ago. Her shoulder and knee are still not - and probably never will be - back to normal.

I'm glad your incident ended without injury.