Cyclist vs Landrover

That road must bring out the worst in some cyclists. My step-mum (a pedestrian, in her 80s) was knocked right off her feet by one there (again, he was jumping the lights) a few years ago. Her shoulder and knee are still not - and probably never will be - back to normal.

I'm glad your incident ended without injury.

Were there posters on the railings and did your step mum have sufficient flashing lights on her coat? Hi-viz vest?

He made a mistake. But its not dangerous to anyone other than the cyclist. Except the op might have got his trailer scratched.

And I suppose it wouldn't have harmed Obelix mentally at all if the guy had been killed.

He'd just wash him off the trailer and get on with life...

There are a few cyclists on this thread who would argue that black is white to justify their own reckless behaviour.

And unfortunately other drivers believe that all cyclists behave like this.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 19:41 ----------

A cyclist dressed in black, no lights, in the dark? On the road? Really?

Why would this be so hard to believe?

I'd say it happens far too often.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 19:45 ----------

Why don't cyclists have an mot for riding on roads?

You'd think there would be a minimum road safety requirement if they are going to use the roads

1. Lights

2. Reflective gear/accessories

3. Helmet.

There is another thread going at the moment where a cyclist has been cautioned by police for running a red light, so it seems the cops are being pro active towards road users who need to brush up on the highway code.

If you're going to comment on it, then you'd think you'd be aware yourself that a helmet isn't a requirement... Reflectors and lights on the bike (when it's dark) are.

An MOT would be pointless though, it only proves that a vehicle is roadworthy on the day the MOT is done.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 19:51 ----------

technically he shouldn't need them as It's never going to be so dark that he can't see and he shouldn't really be in any kind of position or situation where he's needing a front light to announce his presence.

Absolutely insane. You can't think of a situation where a cyclist might want someone ahead of him to notice him... I take it you don't cycle?

Yet people keep repeating "The OP was in the right. The cyclist was wrong." as if, there's some disagreement. Who do you think is disagreeing?

You for a start with your constant bleating on about how I should make my trailer more visible and incessant nit picking about how many lights are on there.

I bet when you saw the thread you thought it'd be great a perfect opportunity to have a go at a big bad car driver. Except of course it was the cyclist at fault. Never daunted you decided to have a go at implying it was my fault for not having a trailer with excessive (and illegal) lighting - but that was a no go. So failing that it's time to cast doubt on how many lights I actually had down the side as if that's somehow going to validate your position....

It doesn't. No ones denying that cycling in the UK is different to other places. For the record I cycle. I've also lived for a few months in the Nederlands and Belgium. I know what the differences are like. If something bothers you take it up with people who can do something about it. Winding up people who did nothing wrong and are then cast by yourself as being deficient is only going to annoy them and make them against cycling just to be peverse and annoy you. Choose and fight your battles carefully.

I had a visit from the cyclist this afternoon. Young chap, quite personable, wanted to apologise for the inconvenience and settle any damage. Still couldn't find any damage at all. He pressed me to take £20 though to make amends and buy a pint - I don't need it per se but I'll probably have a couple and stick the rest in the charity tin. He's one of the good guys. Sadly there are a couple of others I'm acquainted with who are not.

You for a start with your constant bleating on about how I should make my trailer more visible and incessant nit picking about how many lights are on there.

I bet when you saw the thread you thought it'd be great a perfect opportunity to have a go at a big bad car driver. Except of course it was the cyclist at fault. Never daunted you decided to have a go at implying it was my fault for not having a trailer with excessive (and illegal) lighting - but that was a no go. So failing that it's time to cast doubt on how many lights I actually had down the side as if that's somehow going to validate your position....

It doesn't. No ones denying that cycling in the UK is different to other places. For the record I cycle. I've also lived for a few months in the Nederlands and Belgium. I know what the differences are like. If something bothers you take it up with people who can do something about it. Winding up people who did nothing wrong and are then cast by yourself as being deficient is only going to annoy them and make them against cycling just to be peverse and annoy you. Choose and fight your battles carefully.

I had a visit from the cyclist this afternoon. Young chap, quite personable, wanted to apologise for the inconvenience and settle any damage. Still couldn't find any damage at all. He pressed me to take £20 though to make amends and buy a pint - I don't need it per se but I'll probably have a couple and stick the rest in the charity tin. He's one of the good guys. Sadly there are a couple of others I'm acquainted with who are not.

well said :clap::clap:

Were there posters on the railings and did your step mum have sufficient flashing lights on her coat? Hi-viz vest?

Sadly, no, but even if she had, I doubt it would have stopped the lunatic.

They caught him (he was wearing a jacket emblazoned with the name of the supermarket where he worked), and prosecuted him...he has to pay her compensation at the rate of about 50p per week.She'd rather have the use of her shoulder back, though.

I do not believe he is typical of cyclists in this country, however.

Well at least they caught him but as you say being able to use the shoulder would probably be preferable....

Did you get anything from the CIC? If there was a prosecution then that should at least pay something out which may help.

Well at least they caught him but as you say being able to use the shoulder would probably be preferable....

Did you get anything from the CIC? If there was a prosecution then that should at least pay something out which may help.

What's the CIC, please? :confused:

Why do you keep repeating that? No-one's disagreeing with it.

It's been clearly stated several times that the OP did nothing wrong, and, that the cyclist was riding foolishly.

Yet people keep repeating "The OP was in the right. The cyclist was wrong." as if, there's some disagreement. Who do you think is disagreeing?

One dogs looking east. One dogs looking west. Forget about it.

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 00:12 ----------

And I suppose it wouldn't have harmed Obelix mentally at all if the guy had been killed.

He'd just wash him off the trailer and get on with life...

There are a few cyclists on this thread who would argue that black is white to justify their own reckless behaviour.

And unfortunately other drivers believe that all cyclists behave like this.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 19:41 ----------

Why would this be so hard to believe?

I'd say it happens far too often.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 19:45 ----------

If you're going to comment on it, then you'd think you'd be aware yourself that a helmet isn't a requirement... Reflectors and lights on the bike (when it's dark) are.

An MOT would be pointless though, it only proves that a vehicle is roadworthy on the day the MOT is done.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 19:51 ----------

Absolutely insane. You can't think of a situation where a cyclist might want someone ahead of him to notice him... I take it you don't cycle?

Too late. You missed the show big dawg.