Cyclist vs Landrover

Might be worth checking that, if you are interested in being visible.

I was proposing the bike lights idea for those who were concerned about their trailer not being that visible from the side.

Putting flashing bike lights on it would actually completely solve that issue, and, being simple, would constitute a simple solution.

Your 'people not running red lights...', in contrast, relies on large numbers of other human beings suddenly changing their behaviour. History shows that this just doesn't happen.

And, the lack of a proposed causal connection between 1. the decision made by the trailer owner to tackle the issue, and, 2. the minds of all those other human beings involved, in your 'solution' is a huge problem.

That problem could only be addressed by some form of communication e.g. a mass media information broadcast, which, would also be weak as a solution, due to the inevitable less than 100% uptake, and, even if it looked feasible, would certainly not be 'simple'.

So, for those reasons, I'm actually going to quibble strongly with your statement and say that the simple solution is to put some pound shop lights down the side (as opposed to trying to make people stop running reds).

Given that you keep telling us that your condition gives you enhanced logical powers, your post is a complete load of nonsense. According to you, the OP adding illegal lights to his trailer would "completely solve the problem", yet the cyclist riding sensibly and legally fails to be effective because it doesn't involve a mass marketing campaign which successfully convinces every person who currently uses a bike in a foolish manner to change their ways.

What about all the other reasonable trailer owners who haven't followed your suggestion and lit up their trailers according to your specifications? Because it sounds from your refutal of others' advice that cyclists don't behave in an dangerous antisocial manner as if only a blanket solution that stops all future occurrences of collisions between cyclists and trailers is one that should be considered. Why is your solution so wonderful when all you've done is (failed to) convince one trailer owner and not the nation(/world)wide trailer owning population.

What if the OP does go and spend money on more lights to make his clearly visible trailer more clearly visible - and the cyclist still doesn't see him, or chooses to behave recklessly regardless? Should the trailer owner then cover the trailer in lava lamps and fairy lights? It really seems to me as if someone should come up with some kind of definition of what is a reasonable level of lighting that a driver should have on their trailer, and then maybe codify it into law. Oh hang on, they have.

A much better approach would be for the cyclist to make sure that their bike is well lit, and for them to not run red lights. That would be one small but significant step towards the roads being safer.

Another step would be for others to not peddle twaddle about running red lights being safer.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 13:43 ----------

6. financial incentives for anyone choosing to cycle to work.

These are already in place, on top of the obvious intrinsic ones.

Edited by mattleonard

How about

7. any cyclist filmed running a red light - long ban from cycling. Repeat offence - lifetime ban ?

Oh come on, everyone knows all cyclists are perfect and can choose which red lights to run safely. I mean that was demonstrated when one chose to run a red light and went safely under my trailer and folded up his Meriva until it was about the same size as a Brompton....

You're right, cyclists should sort out their failings.

Fortunately, the consequences of a cyclists failings tend to not be that serious for anyone else- in contrast, the failings of our road policies and failings of irresponsible drivers, are, frequently, fatal for cyclists.

But the usual reason for accidents involving cycles is cyclists running red lights. why is that the fault of the road policies or irresponsible drivers? For your information the rules of the road should apply to EVERYBODY and that includes cyclists. I wish I had a pound for every cyclist I have seen at the Ecclesfield wood bottom nipping round the inside of a red traffic light because they don't see why they should have to wait for green. Also when I used to cycle and it's not that long ago we didn't have CYCLE lanes everywhere including places where pedestrians have less rights on the footpaths than cyclists. I cite the area outside Morrisons at Ecclesfield as an example

Ubermaus- I'd suggest putting your hands up to making a statement that could be interpreted as absolute, point out that what you meant was that many more car drivers, proportionally, are overweight/obese whereas very few cyclists are.

Then remind everyone that it's a scientifically established fact, backed up by many, many studies, that cycling is very effective at preventing obesity (and thus, all the chronic diseases associated with it i.e. heart disease, diabetes etc, that are epidemic in our car obsessed culture).

There, you said it.

I was interpreting your post in context.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 14:17 ----------

In that case you appear to struggle to express what you mean in the written form.

You made an absolute statement, and now you say you didn't... But it's still there;

What do you really mean, if not what you wrote here?

There you go again. Stirring up trouble. It wasnt an absolute statement. Like several of my posts youve cut a quote down to suit own needs.

Might be worth checking that, if you are interested in being visible.

I was proposing the bike lights idea for those who were concerned about their trailer not being that visible from the side.

Putting flashing bike lights on it would actually completely solve that issue, and, being simple, would constitute a simple solution

<snip content not relevant to the point about the lights>

So, for those reasons, I'm actually going to quibble strongly with your statement and say that the simple solution is to put some pound shop lights down the side (as opposed to trying to make people stop running reds).

It gets worse, you want them in FLASHING mode too?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made

“Special warning lamp” A lamp, fitted to the front or rear of a vehicle, capable of emitting a blue flashing light and not any other kind of light.

“Warning beacon” A lamp that is capable of emitting a flashing or rotating beam of light throughout 360° in the horizontal plane.

Lamps to show a steady light

13. (1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of–

(a)a direction indicator;

(b)a headlamp fitted to an emergency vehicle;

©a warning beacon or special warning lamp;

(d)a lamp or illuminated sign fitted to a vehicle used for police purposes;

(e)a green warning lamp used as an anti-lock brake indicator; or

(f)lamps forming part of a traffic sign.

(Note 1991 amendments to cover the legal use of the flashing lights on pedal cycles)

Amendments to regulation 13 (lamps to show a steady light)

In regulation 13(2)—

(a) the word “or” immediately following sub-paragraph (e) shall be omitted;

(b) after sub-paragraph (f) there shall be added—

“(g) a front position lamp capable of emitting a flashing light (whether or not it is also

capable of emitting a steady light) which is fitted to—

(i) a pedal cycle; or

(ii) a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle;

and which, if it is a lamp which is required to be fitted pursuant to regulation 18, is

capable, when emitting a flashing light, of em

itting light to the front of the pedal

cycle, trailer or sidecar (as the case may be) of an intensity of not less than 4

candelas; or

(h) a rear position lamp capable of emitting a fl

ashing light (whether

or not it is also

capable of emitting a steady light) which is fitted to—

(i) a pedal cycle; or

(ii) a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle;

and which, if it is a lamp which is required to be fitted pursuant to regulation 18, is

capable, when emitting a flashing light, of emitting light to the rear of the pedal

cycle, trailer or sidecar (as the case may be) of an intensity of not less than 4

candelas.”

I'd like to see him carry two lots of fishing tackle on a pushbike or take his luggage to Manchester airport to go on holiday.

If he uses a bike trailer I hope he follows the required rules for lighting that... considering the previous attempts at suggesting lighting I can see there are probably going to be a lot of illegally lit cycle trailers as well.

You're right, cyclists should sort out their failings.

Fortunately, the consequences of a cyclists failings tend to not be that serious for anyone else- in contrast, the failings of our road policies and failings of irresponsible drivers, are, frequently, fatal for cyclists.

But the usual reason for accidents involving cycles is cyclists running red lights. why is that the fault of the road policies or irresponsible drivers? For your information the rules of the road should apply to EVERYBODY and that includes cyclists. I wish I had a pound for every cyclist I have seen at the Ecclesfield wood bottom nipping round the inside of a red traffic light because they don't see why they should have to wait for green. Also when I used to cycle and it's not that long ago we didn't have CYCLE lanes everywhere including places where pedestrians have less rights on the footpaths than cyclists. I cite the area outside Morrisons at Ecclesfield as an example

Agree. The fact its a 5 tonne projectile kind of got overlooked.

Er no - Apart from a motorway there are no dedicated roads for combustion vehicles. I have to share them all with horses, pedestrians, agricultural tractors, red deer, badgers, next doors cats, the occassional steam roller from the enthusiast at the end of the lane and a fairly large number of cyclists.

You said as a pedestrian unless I was mistaken. And in most places you go as a pedestrian, there are footpaths.

At least I thought this

If either of them run into me I'll be severly injured or killed.

Meant as a pedestrian.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 17:17 ----------

But the usual reason for accidents involving cycles is cyclists running red lights.

That's just a lie.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 17:18 ----------

There, you said it.

I was interpreting your post in context.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 14:17 ----------

There you go again. Stirring up trouble. It wasnt an absolute statement. Like several of my posts youve cut a quote down to suit own needs.

It was absolute, you didn't qualify it at all... Feel free to keep pretending otherwise though. :roll:

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 17:19 ----------

Agree. The fact its a 5 tonne projectile kind of got overlooked.

Projectile is hardly accurate is it. The cyclist road into the trailer, not the other way around.

Edited by Cyclone