Why is there White Flight?

All that these stats show is that the Londoners have realised that if they sell their houses for massively inflated prices they can go and live in the countryside without all the annoyances that come with city living.

But, let us call it white flight, because that alliterates nicely.

It isn't an option for most Londoners coz it is without the work and lifestyle they've become accustomed to. My brother lives in the infamous / famous Trellick Tower, Kensington. Once commonly known as the The Tower of Terror it is now becoming home to more and more WHITE rich hipsters.

London council's are selling off their council housing to private landlords whom usually then rent to white rich hipsters, and consequently the poor are gentrified out of London.

Hackney has more and more rich whites moving into the area and lots of the poor blacks, Pakistani's have been gentrified out. Banksy the grafitti artist even stopped doing his art in the area because he was contributing to increasing house prices which was forcing the locals out.

Or alternatively that white middle class Londoners are the loudest supporters of our vibrant multicultural society until they realise that their James and Jemima might have to attend a London Primary where they will be in a class where they are the only ones speaking English. At which time they decide to observe vibrant multiculturalism from a distance, and move to a predominantly white market town.

You know, people like Billy Bragg.

How many Daily Mail stereotypes can you fit into one paragraph :rolleyes:

But it doesn't explain why all those middle class trendies choose to stay in that other hated part of London - Islington, in spite of the multiculti schools

How many Daily Mail stereotypes can you fit into one paragraph :rolleyes:

But it doesn't explain why all those middle class trendies choose to stay in that other hated part of London - Islington, in spite of the multiculti schools

It ain't just Islington, loadsa inner London has removed its poor. Harry has a point, white middle class hipsters are very quickly gentrifying out the fashionable multiculturalism they often preach of.

When people get the means to move somewhere they perceive as 'better' that's what some will choose to do. It goes without saying that many in the more recent immigrant community will be poorer than large numbers of people who are established here. In reality, it isn't about moving away from people with different coloured skin, it's about lots of other things.

Things like preferring a rural area; more house for your money; the perceived quality of schools; the behaviour and values people feel comfortable with. The last qualities are certainly not defined by ethnicity or skin colour. I would suggest the headlines were written in a manner meant to provoke. :rolleyes:

Well if you are like that nice Mr Blair, you send them across London to a selective school.

Right wingers can be just a hypocritical as left wingers. I remember a couple of years ago some lady called Camilla double-barrelled something wrote in the Telegraph about how she had always vowed never to send her children out of London to public school, as she had been by her parents. But then she had changed her mind as she felt it was "important not to burden them with my preconceptions". She might even have been telling the truth, I suppose.

All that these stats show is that the Londoners have realised that if they sell their houses for massively inflated prices they can go and live in the countryside without all the annoyances that come with city living.

But, let us call it white flight, because that alliterates nicely.

I left London because it's too expensive. I don't earn a great deal and the lifestyle I could afford in London was not one which was acceptable to me as a white British native. There are plenty of incomers who will do the job I did for pay which only allows them to sleep on a mattress which is shared in shifts between 10 workers who are all sharing the same one bedroomed flat in a horrible area. I wanted to be able to have a home and a family so I left London for Sheffield for this reason.

But I do find it sad that I have had to leave my home, friends and family behind purely because standards of living have plummeted so badly in London.

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 16:28 ----------

It ain't just Islington, loadsa inner London has removed its poor. Harry has a point, white middle class hipsters are very quickly gentrifying out the fashionable multiculturalism they often preach of.

I lived in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets. Those areas have an awful lot of council housing which is predominently occupied by ethnic minorities so they maintain a multicultural environment. Personally in my experience poor people still remain in London, but they are almost exclusively poor non-white people who have access to cheap social housing which enables them to be able to maintain a reasonable standard of living. For a variety of reasons it's always been harder for white people to access social housing in London and therefore poor white people are the ones having to leave.