Why is there White Flight?

Odd, I could have sworn that I'd commented on this thread, to say something along the lines of. Doesn't the fact that it's a daily mail article tell us everything we need to know.

You did, so at least you now know you are not going mad. :)

All that these stats show is that the Londoners have realised that if they sell their houses for massively inflated prices they can go and live in the countryside without all the annoyances that come with city living.

But, let us call it white flight, because that alliterates nicely.

It's called White Flight because you know, history. Nothing to do with the Daily Mail or London.

It's well documented that in the past century - especially in the U.S - as poor immigrants moved into a traditionally white poor area all the white people left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

There are other areas (few and far between) in which being white means you are not that welcome. These are more likely to be Asian areas than black areas. One area in Sheffield would be Mount Pleasant Park.

I love multiculturalism, my main criticism of Sheffield is that it is fairly racially divided.

I don't believe Sheffield is any more racially divided than other cities. There may be small areas where ethnic minorities live, but that has always been the case throughout history.

I left London because it's too expensive. I don't earn a great deal and the lifestyle I could afford in London was not one which was acceptable to me as a white British native. There are plenty of incomers who will do the job I did for pay which only allows them to sleep on a mattress which is shared in shifts between 10 workers who are all sharing the same one bedroomed flat in a horrible area. I wanted to be able to have a home and a family so I left London for Sheffield for this reason.

But I do find it sad that I have had to leave my home, friends and family behind purely because standards of living have plummeted so badly in London.

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 16:28 ----------

I lived in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets. Those areas have an awful lot of council housing which is predominently occupied by ethnic minorities so they maintain a multicultural environment. Personally in my experience poor people still remain in London, but they are almost exclusively poor non-white people who have access to cheap social housing which enables them to be able to maintain a reasonable standard of living. For a variety of reasons it's always been harder for white people to access social housing in London and therefore poor white people are the ones having to leave.

You did what my inlaws did over 60 years ago. They couldn't get decent housing for their family even though my late f.i.l. was a skilled worker. My husband comes from generations of Londoners, but we could never have afforded to live there. My husbands career would probably have benefited, but we felt our children would have a better lifestyle here.

Much of what appears to be 'council housing' has been sold - first via Right to Buy, then to landlords who charge high rents to people who can't get social housing, many of those being immigrants.

London council's are selling off their council housing to private landlords whom usually then rent to white rich hipsters, and consequently the poor are gentrified out of London.

Don't you think that has more to do with the tories social cleansing policies of benefit caps and the the type of stuff that is happening in places like Hendon as highlighted on here the other week?

Don't you think that has more to do with the tories social cleansing policies of benefit caps and the the type of stuff that is happening in places like Hendon as highlighted on here the other week?

How would benefit caps help cause white flight?

I left London because it's too expensive. I don't earn a great deal and the lifestyle I could afford in London was not one which was acceptable to me as a white British native. There are plenty of incomers who will do the job I did for pay which only allows them to sleep on a mattress which is shared in shifts between 10 workers who are all sharing the same one bedroomed flat in a horrible area. I wanted to be able to have a home and a family so I left London for Sheffield for this reason.

But I do find it sad that I have had to leave my home, friends and family behind purely because standards of living have plummeted so badly in London.

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 16:28 ----------

I lived in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets. Those areas have an awful lot of council housing which is predominently occupied by ethnic minorities so they maintain a multicultural environment. Personally in my experience poor people still remain in London, but they are almost exclusively poor non-white people who have access to cheap social housing which enables them to be able to maintain a reasonable standard of living. For a variety of reasons it's always been harder for white people to access social housing in London and therefore poor white people are the ones having to leave.

Poor people do remain in London but most have been forced out coz of various social cleansing policies.

Why do you think it is harder for white people to access London's social housing?

Poor people do remain in London but most have been forced out coz of various social cleansing policies.

Why do you think it is harder for white people to access London's social housing?

That is a pretty stiff accusation, you'd better back that up with proof or retract it.

That is a pretty stiff accusation, you'd better back that up with proof or retract it.

Nearly half a million immigrants have been given taxpayer-funded homes over the past decade. Which is disproportionally high.

The revelation comes as the number of families on the waiting list for social housing hits a record 1.8million. Most are British born.

David Cameron launched plans to give local people priority on waiting lists

Clampdown will see migrants only become eligible for social housing after two years in the UK.

That means half a million people on the waiting list did not get one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379478/Revealed-How-500-000-immigrants-given-social-housing-decade-number-families-waiting-list-hits-record-high.html#ixzz3O1z4nFMu