Iceland - Reykjavik

Hi all,

I was a tad unsure where to post this as strangely, there doesn't appear to be a travel section (at least not one I could find).

I'm considering taking a February trip to Reykjavik, I have been lead to believe it's quite expensive for food and drink whilst you are there. I've done a few searches on Google and Trip Advisor but haven't really been able to find any current prices, or indeed anyone that has recently visited.

I was wondering if any of the forum users had been and could advice on average costs of meals, drinks and nights out. Also whether I'd be better purchasing excursions such as the lights tour in advance or when I get there.

Many thanks.

I went 4 years ago. I paid approx £6 for a pint of lager. Swimming baths are cheap - 75p. Food - it depends where you go. Lamb and salmon are plentiful. Reykjavik is actually considered a bit of a culinary hotspot. All the food I had there was superb. Don't tip, they don't expect it as their comparatively higher pay covers it.

Just go for it, honestly. Also not many places deal with cash, it's all credit/debit card transactions, even the really small ones like going to a spa or pool. Upside - no money to carry around. Downside - not knowing how much you've spent until you come home and see your bill.

I was there for two weeks, toured the whole Island and went on plenty of excursions. But mine was a package from Exodus

Edited by taxman

May be of worth noting - there is a volcano erupting there atm.
Yes there is, but Bárðarbunga is a long way from Reykjavík.

I was there in 1974, staying in youth hostels. The prices of meals and drinks were on average about three times what they were in the UK, so to judge from the links given by anfisa the difference isn't so great now. In two weeks we only had three meals in restaurants, the rest of the time we self-catered with cheese and jam sandwiches, and occasionally splashed out on a tin of baked beans..:| It's an interesting country, very clean and with friendly people. The language is unfathomable but most Icelanders speak better English than we do..:)

Edited by hillsbro

brilliant place, yes, expensive, but you do not have to drink a lot! we hired a 4x4 with driver for a couple of days, booked through hotel reception. got to see loads of places. last day, time was tight, we booked a taxi to take us around the city, again would recommend this. finished up at the Blue Lagoon.

We went about ten years ago. I won the trip through work and it was the most expensive freebie ever as we spent about £500 on food and excursions. Worth every penny though as it's an amazing place.

We went in May and it barely got dark but in Feb it might be the other way round. I'd suggest leaving it till after the Spring equinox but others who've been in Winter may have a different view. You might see the Northern Lights anyway

The Blue Lagoon is a must. Also a trip to the place where the North American and European continental plates meet is a brill experience.

Also, when you get to the airport, suddenly Ikea makes sense

...Also a trip to the place where the North American and European continental plates meet is a brill experience...
Yes - this is Thingvellir, where the Icelandic parliament also met from the 10th century onwards. We took the "Golden Circle" day trip by coach from Reykjavik, which also included Hveragerði (where they grow bananas in greenhouses heated by hot springs), Geysir (the photo shows the smaller geyser "Strokkur" or "the churn" erupting - which it does every few minutes), Skálholt (where Christanity was established in Iceland) and Gullfoss..:)

When you come back, would you post what your experience was like? We went a few years back in August. Really liked it. Have been wondering what a mid-winter visit would be like.

I'm not much of a drinker, but the people we were traveling with said the drinks were massively expensive. Their suggestion was to buy as much duty free on the way there as possible, or stick some bottles in your checked-in luggage.

If you'd like a taste of the place before you go in the guise of a page-turner murder mystery, try Michael Ridpath's Fire and Ice series. http://www.michaelridpath.com/icelandic-series-home.html