Thos W Ward Ltd, Albion Works, Savile Street

I have been researching Thos. W. Ward Ltd for the past three years and am attempting to put together an extensive history of the Company and all the links to the Company that still exist. I was hoping that some of the frequenters of Sheffield Forum might be able to assist me with a quandry related to Albion Works (now Albion House) which was the Head Office of Wards from 1902 through to 1985 (although they were based on the site from 1885-6, they only began constructing the building still standing on Savile Street in 1902).

The essence of my request is related to the Albion Works after Wards departed. The Machinery Hall and A Block which sat behind the frontage were both put up between 1929-1940 and remained after the closure, but subsequently disappeared and I have been unable to determine when the buildings were actually demolished. I know it couldn't have been an easy task as the A-Block was constructed from Ketton Cement and was filled with structural steel rebar so it couldn't have happened without some considerable effort, but I have been unable to determine from any of the people I have interviewed when it happened.

Perhaps you could try contacting people that worked at the time, at the back of "Tommy Ward's' the other side of the River Don on Effingham Street. They would have a better view than as from Saville Street. I believe Tempered Spring Co. were one of them. Look at 'Google street view' and you'll see what I mean. Good luck anyway.