Husband & Co and Jodrell Bank

I am wondering if anyone who worked for Husband & Co during the 1950's-60's is still around, but particularly anyone who may have been involved with or worked directly on the Jodrell Bank telescope project.

There are some people still around who worked on the original Mk1 at Husbands and at Dunford and Elliott, can I ask why you ask?

Edited by Blackbeard

My research is all related to Thos. W. Ward Ltd. I learned that Husbands links with Wards during this time produced some interesting cost saving measures during the development and installation of the Mk1. Wards developed and installed the first set of bogie rails for the telescope and that Husband himself recommended the use of gun turrets from battleships being dismantled at Wards Inverkeithing yard as they were 'far better than anything that could be fabricated' and would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

My aim is to produce a history of Wards, but I am currently trying to capture the memories of those people that we still have with us to enable a first hand history to be written for the last thirty to forty years of Wards existence. I have been in touch with the University of Manchester who have been most helpful but the first hand accounts of the development and installation of the Mk1 are sparse and so I am trying to understand the context of Wards and Husbands involvements and the Engineering difficulties they both had to overcome as part of this monumental project

• 2 years later...
There are some people still around who worked on the original Mk1 at Husbands and at Dunford and Elliott, can I ask why you ask?

Can you remember if asbestos was present at Jodrell Bank. My husband worked on a telescope there is in 1960's.

Begora

---------- Post added 09-08-2017 at 16:38 ----------

I am wondering if anyone who worked for Husband & Co during the 1950's-60's is still around, but particularly anyone who may have been involved with or worked directly on the Jodrell Bank telescope project.

Hi

My late husband installed the equipment at Jodrell bank in the 1960's. We visited approx. 12yrs ago and the original equipment was still being used.

I think he was working for either Dunford & Elliotts or Alfred Peters at that time.

---------- Post added 13-08-2017 at 21:07 ----------

Have you any names/contacts for the people who worked for Dunford & Elliotts. I only know two who worked there and they are Les Crofts & Tony Middleton.

Begora

• 5 months later...

Hi

My husband worked directly on the Jodrell Bank telescope project. Unfortunately, he passed away with cancer in 2016. Is there are particular

reason why you ask only I do have some photo's.

Begora