Life without big corporations.

I didn't claim that the UN said such a thing. However, I do know from several websites (which I find to be legitimate, you probably wouldn't, but that's not my problem), that the worlds agricultural needs can be met by localising.

That is correct you did not, it was a claim by another member, and the source of that claim is some very dodgy looking websites, probably the same websites that you are looking at.

Someone posting unsubstantiated opinions on a website does not make it factual.

How does Apple generate wealth for us all?

I'm fairly certain that Apple products help generate wealth for the people who use them commercially..

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 14:19 ----------

I go to a farm shop called Arrow Farm. Look it up, it offers all that you've said farm shops don't.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 22:21 ----------

Globalisation is pretty much the cause of everything I hate about the way things are at the moment.

It's less than 20 mins long and we'll worth a watch.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 22:29 ----------

Funny you should mention tea. I've just grilled a couple of rib eye stakes with home made chips, onion rings, peas and mayo. Everything was from Arrow Farm and is produced locally, even the mayo. I've even got a nice bottle of English red wine from there. I've got a ready prepared lasagne for my tea tomorrow too. All from Arrow Farm and all local :) screw the supermarkets! Why would you want fish that's shipped to China just to be gutted and shipped back? English apples waxed in Africa, all with additives that make them look fresher than they really are? :gag:

It's all that nice, It stopped me being a veggie :hihi:

If we all decided to go to Arrow Farm shops do you think they'd cope?

That is correct you did not, it was a claim by another member, and the source of that claim is some very dodgy looking websites, probably the same websites that you are looking at.

Someone posting unsubstantiated opinions on a website does not make it factual.

It makes it just as factual as the news that comes from BBC, Fox, The Daily Mail, and any other news source. Unless you'd like to educate me as otherwise?

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 16:21 ----------

If we all decided to go to Arrow Farm shops do you think they'd cope?

All at once? Of course not. Do you think if we all stopped smoking at the same time the governed would cope?

Do you think Ford make enough cars for everyone?

Do you think Apple could supply everyone with an iPads?

On the other hand, if the movement gathers granule pace and more local farms supply local stores or open their own, over time, there would be no need for the massive globalisation on food trade that we are seeing today.

Realistically, it doesn't even have to spell the end for supermarkets. They would just have to start sourcing from local producers.

Reputable journalists tend to either corroborate their stories, or make it clear they are unsubstantiated if they cannot. Hence you get clips from Syria that the BBC announce as "Videos that we cannot confirm appear to show that...." etc...

No, this thread is about localisation, which would mean cutting out many of the large corporations (unless they dramatically change the way they operate).

Business sense also states that, if supermarkets don't act soon and start using local suppliers instead of supporting the globalisation of the food trade, they will go down.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 07:22 ----------

I didn't claim that the UN said such a thing. However, I do know from several websites (which I find to be legitimate, you probably wouldn't, but that's not my problem), that the worlds agricultural needs can be met by localising.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 07:30 ----------

Supply and demand doesn't even come into it when large scale farming is on the brink of imploding. All over the globe, farmers are moving toward localisation, because it offers more economic freedom. They can grow more crops, control their business better and converse directly with their customers. There's a massive global movement happening, right now. I know you knew about this though, due to your massive economic understanding ;)

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 07:41 ----------

Is this some sort of sarcastic, nostalgic jab? Trying to say that we've progressed to the mighty supermarket now? Where all things are under one roof?

The only benefit supermarkets offer is their convenience. Everything else about them is substandard, from the quality of their food, to the way they use and abuse their suppliers.

There's no sarcasm involved. What I said was the way things were in the late 40s early 50s but that was before your time so it all probably sounds like some fantasy tale.

Edited by Harleyman

Are you trying to suggest that we don't have enough land in Britain to supply food for the population!?

Yes, we have more than enough Farmers working their socks off to make a living and supply food , but what we dont have is the climate to guarantee the crops every year.

It makes it just as factual as the news that comes from BBC, Fox, The Daily Mail, and any other news source. Unless you'd like to educate me as otherwise?

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 16:21 ----------

All at once? Of course not. Do you think if we all stopped smoking at the same time the governed would cope?

Do you think Ford make enough cars for everyone?

Do you think Apple could supply everyone with an iPads?

On the other hand, if the movement gathers granule pace and more local farms supply local stores or open their own, over time, there would be no need for the massive globalisation on food trade that we are seeing today.

Realistically, it doesn't even have to spell the end for supermarkets. They would just have to start sourcing from local producers.

Everyone doesn't need/want a Ford or an Ipad..we all have to eat..

Genuine question..do you really think that the local farmers around Whitwell ,Creswell. Clowne, Killamarsh etc could produce enough food for the area? What do you call "local"?

There's no sarcasm involved. What I said was the way things were in the late 40s early 50s but that was before your time so it all probably sounds like some fantasy tale.

No, I can remember having local shops etc. And my great grandma used to have a larder. Although they are before my time.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 16:47 ----------

Yes, we have more than enough Farmers working their socks off to make a living and supply food , but what we dont have is the climate to guarantee the crops every year.

Really? Wet winters and warm summers? England is a pretty green place.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 16:50 ----------

Everyone doesn't need/want a Ford or an Ipad..we all have to eat..

Genuine question..do you really think that the local farmers around Whitwell ,Creswell. Clowne, Killamarsh etc could produce enough food for the area? What do you call "local"?

Yes, I think they can. More than enough. And by local, I don't necessarily mean only from the immediate surroundings. Some food would have to be moved around. I'm suggesting that the global food market is something that needs to come to an end. Along with the globalisation of other products, such as clothing and shelter.

It would be more likley to be true if the UN said what was claimed, and if they said what was claimed it would be on the UN website and very likley reported by mainstream media. The fact that it is only reported on dodgy looking websites and is not on the UN website means it is extremely likley to be untrue.

It would be more likley to be true if the UN said what was claimed, and if they said what was claimed it would be on the UN website and very likley reported by mainstream media. The fact that it is only reported on dodgy looking websites and is not on the UN website means it is extremely likley to be untrue.

Have you got a link to said dodgy site?