Life without big corporations.

A lot of our food imports are from choice. We are so used to eating what we want, when we want to that I can't ever see that changing.

If we were to eat only British produce our diet would have to be very different.Right now, for example, we'd be very limited. Aside from preserved foodstuffs, the only fresh veg would be things like parsnips, leeks, turnips and cabbage.

I can't see that going down well in 21st century Britain.

I did not say we should not import food, we should however have the capacity to export as much as we import and be self sufficient if it becomes necessary.

Big corporations all started as small companies. They find a successful formula, out compete the local competition and then spread. As they get bigger they leverage economies of size to further reduce costs and thus they can be even more competitive.

Efficient companies generate more wealth for us all, there's no reason we should strive to artificially introduce inefficiencies by somehow limiting company size (what does size mean anyway, physical, value, turnover?)

How does Apple generate wealth for us all?

Their products are manufactured in China and their store staff are paid low wages. Not to mention their lack of tax payments, here and in the US. We generate wealth for Apple by buying their products.

same goes for Tesco, Asda, well....all the big supermarkets.

I'm not suggesting limiting the size or how innovative or inspirational or even how much money a company can make. I'm just trying to see if we can use as much local produce as possible (such as food), and where that's not possible. Where that's not possible or when a smaller company grows, how can we make sure there's no way of them becoming greedy and placing profit before people's quality of life, such as not paying taxes and outsourcing cheap labour.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 21:04 ----------

Even if by some miracle all the countries on earth agreed, which they wouldn't, the effect of what you are proposing would either make big companies less competitive, or make them split into smaller companies introducing more market volatility and effectively less competition. Instead of a choice of Japanese, Korean, German and if you have no sense, French or American cars, you'd get one or two UK brands each with too few economies of scale to make the cars as affordable as they currently are.

The problems are so numerous it makes my head hurt, but let's start with who gets the global tax revenue?

Let's also visit the idea of a global EU like regulator. The problem here is the corporations that have influence in the bigger countries, specifically within the EU, the Germans negotiate very strongly on certain automotive and engineering regs. Some would say this is anti-competitive and anti-innovative (as James Dyson pointed out). Regulation across big markets invariably leads to this. It's almost always used as a form of protectionism of people seeking to protect their 'local' businesses from competitors.

The answer to corporations taking the p is people taking action and governments clamping down on tax avoidance; taxing income where it's truly made. The answer is more choice, not less; it's less regulation, not more; add it's never more tax for no reason.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 20:22 ----------

This is quite good on the buy local thing.

http://m.fastcompany.com/849678/benefits-buying-local

That's not how it's working at the moment though is it?

We have globalisation of food, trade agreements and treaties that are funded by the tax payer that means we pay for food twice. The market is restricted and local companies are pushed out of the market by large companies, such as Tesco.

At the moment, it's not possible for everyone to buy local because it's too expensive.

I did not say we should not import food, we should however have the capacity to export as much as we import and be self sufficient if it becomes necessary.

Why can't we just buy the stuff that we want to buy?

Why can't we just buy the stuff that we want to buy?

We can for now but it will not be long before we can not, countries that can produce a surplus of food will eventually need it for their own growing populations, competition for food will force prices higher as the world population increases, at which point we will not be able to buy all that we need.

We can for now but it will not be long before we can not, countries that can produce a surplus of food will eventually need it for their own growing populations, competition for food will force prices higher as the world population increases, at which point we will not be able to buy all that we need.

At which point, we will either need to earn more, or eat turnips.

For now, I'm rather enjoying all that the big corporations can offer me for my tea.

How does Apple generate wealth for us all?

Their products are manufactured in China and their store staff are paid low wages. Not to mention their lack of tax payments, here and in the US. We generate wealth for Apple by buying their products.

same goes for Tesco, Asda, well....all the big supermarkets.

I'm not suggesting limiting the size or how innovative or inspirational or even how much money a company can make. I'm just trying to see if we can use as much local produce as possible (such as food), and where that's not possible. Where that's not possible or when a smaller company grows, how can we make sure there's no way of them becoming greedy and placing profit before people's quality of life, such as not paying taxes and outsourcing cheap labour.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 21:04 ----------

That's not how it's working at the moment though is it?

We have globalisation of food, trade agreements and treaties that are funded by the tax payer that means we pay for food twice. The market is restricted and local companies are pushed out of the market by large companies, such as Tesco.

At the moment, it's not possible for everyone to buy local because it's too expensive.

No it's not how it works, because we've had decades of centre left governments in Europe particularly in France who obstruct reform of the CAP. But small companies are not actively out competed by Tesco. They have the ability to sell their goods in the same marketplace or indeed to Tesco itself.

If people can't afford to buy locally, that goes to show that the model is both inefficient and expensive. I can't go to my local farmers market or indeed any 'local' shop at the time I get home from work so I rarely buy 'local' food.

No it's not how it works, because we've had decades of centre left governments in Europe particularly in France who obstruct reform of the CAP. But small companies are not actively out competed by Tesco. They have the ability to sell their goods in the same marketplace or indeed to Tesco itself.

If people can't afford to buy locally, that goes to show that the model is both inefficient and expensive. I can't go to my local farmers market or indeed any 'local' shop at the time I get home from work so I rarely buy 'local' food.

Tesco local stores have caused the closure of many high street butchers, bakers etc.

I'm repeating myself but, it shouldn't cost more to buy an apple from a local orchid than it does to buy an apple that's grown here, shipped to Africa to be waxed and shipped back. Plus there's the massive carbon footprint.

Tesco local stores have caused the closure of many high street butchers, bakers etc.

I'm repeating myself but, it shouldn't cost more to buy an apple from a local orchid than it does to buy an apple that's grown here, shipped to Africa to be waxed and shipped back. Plus there's the massive carbon footprint.

Yes because they are cheaper and more convenient.

And no it shouldn't. But if it does the reason is either that the local orchard owner is wasting his time selling one apple, losing his economy of scale, or he is being greedy asking too much for selling his products directly.

No we consumers have CHOSEN to go to Tesco local over the independent stores.

Why don't people ever grasp this when they bang on about big companies and greedy, sleazy corporations.

WE choose where we shop. WE generate their profits. WE demand cheap prices and thus cheap labour. WE demand supply of what we want and when we want it.

Local stores and wonderful little markets look pretty. But they simply do not offer the choice and service that WE customers demand. Show me an home grown, home produced independently operated store that offers late night opening, competitive prices, plentiful supply, wide choices of brands and products, plentiful car parking, employing massive numbers of staff, and then things might change.

Until then it always will be a fantasy.

At which point, we will either need to earn more, or eat turnips.

For now, I'm rather enjoying all that the big corporations can offer me for my tea.

There will not be enough home grown food for everyone, and I do not have a problem with big corporations giving everyone lots of choice.