No contraception, no dole

You appear to think that if the UK increased its population to 1 billion people we could still all be wealthy.

There you go again, putting words in my mouth! Where did I appear to think that? :suspect:

In fact, don't bother, I don't want to get side tracked into a pointless conversation about who did what, where and when. You're good at that Smithy!

What I am suggesting, is that as a population grows, the ears of its supply needs to be accommodated for. At the moment the UK is failing, massively.

It's a lump of land with humans on it that's controlled by a government in a capitalist system. Of cause it can be compared to the UK.

Norway doesn't squander it's oil revenues at home like the UK. It's invested abroad so their economy isn't dependent on it.

There you go again, putting words in my mouth! Where did I appear to think that? :suspect:

In fact, don't bother, I don't want to get side tracked into a pointless conversation about who did what, where and when. You're good at that Smithy!

What I am suggesting, is that as a population grows, the ears of its supply needs to be accommodated for. At the moment the UK is failing, massively.

You seam to think comparing a country that has a small population to one that has a large population is a good comparison, I just demonstrated to you that it is not.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 08:27 ----------

Norway doesn't squander it's oil revenues at home like the UK. It's invested abroad so their economy isn't dependent on it.

Norway's economy is heavily dependent on it's vast energy reserves.

You seam to think comparing a country that has a small population to one that has a large population is a good comparison, I just demonstrated to you that it is not.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 08:27 ----------

Norway's economy is heavily dependent on it's vast energy reserves.

No it's not. Go read up.

What was the point about China earlier? And proportionally speaking, how do the populations of Norway, the UK and China compare?

What was the point about China earlier? And proportionally speaking, how do the populations of Norway, the UK and China compare?

The point I made about China was that its one child per couple policy was supported by the majority and worked in reducing population growth.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 08:45 ----------

No it's not. Go read up.

So loosing it's oil should make little difference to life in Norway.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/08/uk-norway-economy-insight-idUKKBN0DO07520140508

Norway's energy boom is tailing off years ahead of expectations, exposing an economy unprepared for life after oil and threatening the long-term viability of the world's most generous welfare model.

High spending within the sector has pushed up wages and other costs to unsustainable levels, not just for the oil and gas industry but for all sectors, and that is now acting as a drag on further energy investment. Norwegian firms outside oil have struggled to pick up the slack in what has been, for at least a decade, almost a single-track economy.

Edited by anfisa

The point I made about China was that its one child per couple policy was supported by the majority and worked in reducing population growth.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 08:45 ----------

So loosing it's oil should make little difference to life in Norway.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/08/uk-norway-economy-insight-idUKKBN0DO07520140508

Norway's energy boom is tailing off years ahead of expectations, exposing an economy unprepared for life after oil and threatening the long-term viability of the world's most generous welfare model.

High spending within the sector has pushed up wages and other costs to unsustainable levels, not just for the oil and gas industry but for all sectors, and that is now acting as a drag on further energy investment. Norwegian firms outside oil have struggled to pick up the slack in what has been, for at least a decade, almost a single-track economy.

It's not losing it's oil quite yet. Their government only spend around 4-5% of the oil fund per year. How much does the UK spend/throw down the drain?