New School Dinner Rules, Vegetables Everyday

It's still a huge improvement, I never saw a vegetable near my school, we never had the choice, closest we got was frozen chips. Had to go to the chippy for the healthier option. If they serve it then the kids will eat it, they don't have any other option. It was only the cheapest sausage rolls, breadcakes, chips, sausages, chicken nuggets, powdered soup, pizza & burgers in my day, supplemented with sweets, crisps & pop.

Edited by anywebsite

If they serve it then the kids will eat it, they don't have any other option.

Not necessarily, for some kids it's too late, the lack of serving up of vegetables at home and at school has put them off for life.:gag:

Also, in the link I have provided, this school serves school dinners on a plate, making it appear as though the child has no choice but to eat the healthily options on the plate. So many schools today give the children plastic portion plates to eat from, making the solitary portion of vegetables easy to discard.

It's a good thing.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 11:35 ----------

Why not just make school meals vegetarian? That would remove any problems with "Halal" as well.

Why not just do away with school meals altogether, think of the money it'd save.

Why not just make school meals vegetarian? That would remove any problems with "Halal" as well.

Because some of us loud

I'm and non Muslim alike like meat. Why not just have vegetables with the meal and all meat halal. I would have loved a kebab if it was offered at school and KFC halal tastes nice.

Research has shown that children unused to eating healthy food will reject it for about 3-4 days (even choosing to go hungry rather than eat it), but after that, they do start to eat it, their palates become attuned to it and eventually they even like it. This process takes longer if they are still eating junk at home and in between meals, but anyone (of any age) can change their eating habits, and very, very few children will choose to starve themselves. It's a cultural thing as much as a biological one.

I wish I had known when my kids were little that it can take up to 14 separate attempts to persuade them to try broccoli before some of them will eat it.