Should Voting in General/Local Elections be Compulsory?

Should Voting in General/Local Elections be Compulsory  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should Voting in General/Local Elections be Compulsory

• Yes
    • No
    • Just show me the results

So what do we think?

I think it should because that way the party running the country should then be representative of the whole voting population, not just those who go out and vote.

Perhaps there could be a RON option for those who do not support any candidates?

What about European elections?

Let's please keep this debate on compulsory voting in Local/General Elections please, not who should be given the right to vote or any other digression

*****This poll is not compulsory

Cheers, Tony

I'd agree with Patchy.

At the moment, the only option left to you to indicate that you don't like the options offered is to spoil your ballot paper.

Compulsory voting is, I think, great in theory provided that the democracy in which it is being done is vibrant and representative of the people. Imposing it on a system where there would be a large number of people who fell unrepresented by the parties available would be simply a gesture.

Joe

no it shouldnt

its a democracy, you shouldnt have to vote if you dont want to

i never have, never even been in apolling station :)

whoever you vote for, government wins................as the old slogan goes :)

what about going to register your no vote?

I don't understand........if it was dictatorship you wouldn't get a vote

In a lot of the communist dictatorships there were often "compulsory" elections, and the ruling party always got 99% of the vote..don't know what happened to the 1% who didn't vote for "the party"...

What I mean was that people should have a right whether or note they vote ...I think that is a basic freedom.

Archived