What is your opinion on Amey and their attitude to trees?

I guess the trees were there before you and your neighbours. So if there's a problem it's you that should be removed.

They should never have been put in a residential area. The only people I have spoken to who like the trees are those that look at them as they pass.

To be fair, if one of these trees is 140 years old, then it's almost certainly reached the end of it's lifetime and will need replacing soon anyway.

No

The lifespan of this particular tree is 500 years old

She's just a teenager - and you need to check your facts dude

Many trees can easily live to this age

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 22:12 ----------

They should never have been put in a residential area. The only people I have spoken to who like the trees are those that look at them as they pass.

We have many century old trees where we live

And I have been so very grateful for every day that I have lived under them, side by side :love:

The only people who don't appreciate trees, in my experience, are those who are very disconnected from themselves, nature and reality.

And spend every christmas buying loads of plastic **** that they fill their bins with the next day, without a care in the world! As if there was another planet we could plunder of resources....

The two generally go hand in hand.

Capitalism and nature blindness - They're both a disease

Edited by Solomon1

I feel exactly the same way as you drummer!

And it seems we're not alone on here.....wouldn't it be good if all of us tree warriors got together and protected Sheffield's Trees in the way that they should be! :)

We'd be unstoppable.....;)

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 23:13 ----------

This would be us...saving the trees....:D

Haha, seen that one before! need to check out that festival. Quite like the irony there though , to say there's not one tree in sight on that vid lol

Edited by esme
quote tags

What species of tree lives to 500 years old?

A quick google suggests that even an oak only has a 200 year lifespan.

They can live to a 1000 years +.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 12:12 ----------

LEAVE OUR TREES ALONE AMEY!![/size][/color][/b]

:rant:

We don't need no new plantation

We don't need chainsaws and oil

No dark sarcasm in the boardroom

AMEY leave them trees alone

Hey! AMEY! Leave them trees alone!

All in all it's just another tree on the road.

All in all you're just another tree on the road.

We don't need no propagation

We don't need no sprouting acorns

No dark sarcasm in the boardroom

AMEY leave them trees alone

Hey! AMEY! Leave them kids alone!

All in all it's just another tree on the road.

All in all you're just another tree on the road.

"Wrong, Grow it again!"

"If you don't let it grow, you can't have an ancient beauty. How can you

have an ancient beauty if you don't let it grow"

"You! Yes, you behind the hi-viz, stand still laddy!"

They can live to 1000+, but on average live 150 to 250 years;

http://www.tree2mydoor.com/information/trees/tree-directory/common-oak-trees

And we aren't talking about oaks are we. Many of the street tree's in Sheffield are non native species, and have average lifespans in the range that Solomon indicated this tree had reached (140 years).

Perhaps he can tell us what the species is, that has an average lifespan of 500 years.

Perhaps it's a bristlecone pine or a giant redwood?

Hi everyone :)

Was very sad today to hear about the mass destruction of trees underway in certain parts of Sheffield :cry:

I've noticed many old familiar individuals near me have vanished in recent years, or been pruned within an inch of their life, for no apparent reason...

Have enjoyed many years of sympathetic tree management, so...

Am wondering why this is all happening now?

Have you heard of the company Amey, beeing tasked with managing our trees?

What are your thoughts on the heavy-handed way they appear to have carried this out?

I and many others are pretty upset with them!! :rant:

Love

As Always

Sol

What mass destruction is this and where is it happening? I don't see trees being felled on a massive scale :huh:

What mass destruction is this and where is it happening? I don't see trees being felled on a massive scale :huh:

It's getting a tad surreal now!

Agent Orange asking about tree destruction? :hihi:

Seriously though, AMEY appear to be making a few unilateral decisions on felling trees around the city without following the necessary procedure for doing so. It's not a "massive scale" by any stretch of the imagination but there are incidents that have taken place that scream for explanation.

The one outside our house (grows out of the pavement, so belongs to the council) hasn't been pruned in donkeys' years. It's completely outgrown its environment. The roots damaged our garden wall, which is a retaining wall, to the extent it had be completely rebuilt, which was no small job. If only Amey would do some work on this particular tree.....

By the way, it's a beautiful tree, it looks lovely. I just wish it had been looked after.

That's what I meant when I previously said trees need to be inspected and managed.

Where I live a lovely old tree close to houses fell in those heavy gales we had a couple of years ago, it had to be removed urgently because it was a creating a potential danger, another has been planted in the same place now though.

More recently I saw them spraying a large tree that is also growing on green space nearby, presumably they do that to prevent infection?

Have you contacted them about your tree problem?

Here's some info from Sheffield Council with some details on trees that may be useful to know. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/trees--woodlands.html