Best Place to Sell Back $$

Family has sent me a substantial amount of US dollars in the mail (I already lectured them on the stupidity of this), and wondering where is the best place to get quotes/rates to turn it into pounds?

Last I looked the rate was about $1.70 to £1 and if I was to buy its a lot cheaper. Its not just $100 I need to exchange, its much more than that.

My bank and Thomson, is the same rate but know Thomas Cook will beat quotes. Though not really sure how to go about that (I know it sounds daft, but just go from travel agency to travel agency seeing who can beat/match what?)

I've never actually had to do this before, as if money has been sent its been such a small amount it didnt matter to lose a few pence, but as its such a large amount it be nice to get the most for my pound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure about selling but the best place to buy dollars in Sheffield was always American Express. Better rate than Thomas Cook.

You always get better rates for forex in larger cities and in the UK the best place to buy (and I assume sell) is London, especially the myriad of moneychangers around Victoria station where the competition is the fiercest in the country.

Can't you stick an advert on here. Someone might be travelling to the US. If you cut out the bank, you could both do well from such a deal.

Actually went to Kanoo (AmEx) and they gave me a great rate based on the amount and the type of bills being sold.

Could have got a slightly better rate if I was listening to the gentleman ahead of me in the queue as could have sold the dollars to him for the current exchange rate. If I wanted to be extra cheap could have probably haggled for a bit more for my buck, but didnt want to push my luck.

Thanks to everyone though.

You should get better terms for higher bills. $100s are worth the most, $50s are worth more than $20s, and so on.

Yeah, thats what Kanoo did. Had all $100 bills, no random notes either.

Also they were brand new as they have a bluey green tint and looking more and more like monopoly money :hihi: