Shipping disasters. Is it me? or do they appear 'top heavy'?

O'k, so while we are on the subject, has anybody thought about rising sea levels and displacement ? I mean I know the oceans are massive and contain mind boggling amounts of water but given the amount of shipping these days it has to make a difference.

O'k, so while we are on the subject, has anybody thought about rising sea levels and displacement ? I mean I know the oceans are massive and contain mind boggling amounts of water but given the amount of shipping these days it has to make a difference.

I would have thought it wouldn't make any difference....I would say it's pretty much the same as floating a plastic duck in a bathtub with only a couple of inches of water, as opposed to floating one with a foot of water...it would float just the same....How much it displaces the water wouldn't matter...it still sits on the top of the water.....

I heard that the pilot on board advised the captain to beach it where it did as it would not pose a hazard to other shipping, also some of the cargo were Bentley cars.

Yes I heard some of the cargo was some rather prestige cars....Good job it wasn't a similar scenario as the beached one they had in Devon a few years back, where people flocked there from far and wide to scavenge the washed up goodies. There was a hell of a lot of timber and lots of smashed open containers which had seemed to fall from the deck.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6287457.stm

Do you mean that floating all these ships in the sea is going to raise global sea levels...?

Hahaha, that is ace. Don't worry, that might only become a problem if we all live on huge barges on the sea.

There is a massive annual sailing event near where I grew up, called Sneekweek, there are literally thousands of boats on a rather small inland lake at that time, but the water level doesn't rise more than a centimeter I would think.

Nice angle though :hihi:

Hahaha, that is ace. Don't worry, that might only become a problem if we all live on huge barges on the sea.

There is a massive annual sailing event near where I grew up, called Sneekweek, there are literally thousands of boats on a rather small inland lake at that time, but the water level doesn't rise more than a centimeter I would think.

Nice angle though :hihi:

Hmmm... :huh:

... it's not that I don't believe you, but it would be nice if one of our resident experts could provide us with the relevant scientific calculations so that we forummers can sleep safely in our beds...

... especially those that live in a bungalow! :help:

Hmmm... :huh:

... it's not that I don't believe you, but it would be nice if one of our resident experts could provide us with the relevant scientific calculations so that we forummers can sleep safely in our beds...

... especially those that live in a bungalow! :help:

About 0.02mm sea level rise for all the worlds shipping combined....