Drug prohibition costs lives

It doesn't, people search out alcohol on the black market, some of which is distilled incorrectly and contains impurities such as methanol, leading to some being blinded and even killed.

Financial prohibition does not work. Some jobsworth with a vested interest thinks minimum pricing will save lives, it doesn't (we have it already - due to DUTY), and can't even see we already have minimum pricing, let alone contemplate that people will search out a cheaper black market supply of alcohol if financial prohibition causes them a supply problem, as they do now, increasingly so.

So you think that cutting the price would encourage more people to stop drinking and smoking?

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 08:37 ----------

It implies nothing of the sort. That's just weak conjecture.

It does to me and without evidence that the opposite is true I am unable to change my mind.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 08:41 ----------

Decriminalised, rather than legalised.

But the UK ran an experiment with heroin in the 60's, the number of users fell massively.

Portugal is currently an example of decriminalisation as well.

A few other countries (or states) have recently or have said they will legalise cannabis.

Drug use is falling in the UK, so as drug use fallen faster in those countries or the UK, and is it access to good drug rehab that caused the fall or legalising its use.

That doesn't alter the fact that prohibition causes harm.

And you appeared to be unaware [/b]that alcohol was a mind altering substance, when you asked "why would anyone deliberately ingest a mind altering drug that hadn't be prescribed?"

Demonstrating a high level of naivety regarding this topic IMO.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 07:31 ----------

We also don't agree about what an insult is apparently.

Criticising your lack of knowledge is not insulting you.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 07:32 ----------

It implies nothing of the sort. That's just weak conjecture.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 07:34 ----------

Decriminalised, rather than legalised.

But the UK ran an experiment with heroin in the 60's, the number of users fell massively.

Portugal is currently an example of decriminalisation as well.

A few other countries (or states) have recently or have said they will legalise cannabis.

Ok. Thanks for making me aware of what I was unaware of?

So you think that cutting the price would encourage more people to stop drinking and smoking?

That's clearly not what he said. It will encourage more people to stop drinking & smoking (or injecting, insufflating, swallowing, etc) more dangerous black market products if they can buy it for a reasonable price legally.

That's clearly not what he said. It will encourage more people to stop drinking & smoking (or injecting, insufflating, swallowing, etc) more dangerous black market products if they can buy it for a reasonable price legally.

But will that counter the negative consequences of lowing the price, increased consumption, lower tax receipts, more users.

No, I never said that.

But it would reduce the amount of people using illicit and potentially dangerous product. Which would remove the dangers associated with and that can occur if one uses improper product.

It would also allow poorer addicts to alcohol & tobacco to participate in society again, freed from the financial burden of an addiction to drugs artificially inflated in price, they would be able to afford their addiction without being forced into destitution, no longer would they need to choose between drugs or contemplating the choice of either heating & eating.

They would finally be able to choose to eat or heat, likely every other poor person. This would provide a massive boost to their health, for many of their problems are a result of the neglect of themselves, what with an expensive addiction, depriving them of the ability to meet their basic needs.

And of course with no dealer anymore there's no one pushing it or trying to get people to move up to a more addictive product.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 13:40 ----------

But will that counter the negative consequences of lowing the price, increased consumption, lower tax receipts, more users.

Lower tax receipts? :suspect:

Do you imagine that the current sale of illegal drugs results in ANY tax receipt?

And as I've already told you (and is well proven) free prescribed heroin (as one example) vastly reduces the number of users and the amount of harm caused (to both the users and society in general).

http://www.badscience.net/2006/11/methadone-and-heroin/

Do you imagine that the current sale of illegal drugs results in ANY tax receipt?

Try reading the post that I responded to and the post that post responded to and the one before that, then you will have some context which should help you to understand my post.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 16:55 ----------

And as I've already told you (and is well proven) free prescribed heroin (as one example) vastly reduces the number of users and the amount of harm caused (to both the users and society in general).

I very much doubt that giving something away for free will lower its consumption.

And of course with no dealer anymore there's no one pushing it or trying to get people to move up to a more addictive product.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 13:40 ----------

Ah, there you go again, telling people.

You are doing a nice line in insults today Cyclone.

If you go back to the op you will see that the discussion was about illegal drugs.

It was probably my fault I should have said ' illegal drug'

But I thank you for pointing out my oversight.

P.s. What has my signature to do with illegal drugs?

If a drugs illegality is based on the harm it does, then alcohol would be a class A drug.

If a drugs illegality is based on the harm it does, then alcohol would be a class A drug.

Hows that? I first had a drink at 14 or before,had years and years of drinking socially and many years later in perfect health!

Some do spout some crap.

Maybe less tinfoil sucking is needed before posting ay?