Drug prohibition costs lives

Remove drugs from the street. That's the only sensible option.

Ask your self, how does someone become addicted to heroin? You should know from your experiences. Tell me some of the main reasons you've heard.

There are several factors as to why some move onto heroin, and the people affected are from all walks of life. Stress, marital breakdown, loss of employment, bankrupcy. The list is pretty broad. What is confusing is the reasons behind heroin use in the under 25 bracket. There is no clear definition as to why they may choose to take it, but what is apparent is that a huge percentage of this group have used softer drugs beforehand. To get reasons and explainations from users is a difficult path, that can take several months to achieve, but in the main a typical user is not what you would think. Yes, kids like to experiment, but because the expected "high" is what people see day to day in the media, and that "high" that is expected by a first time user enevitably ends up as a need, thus casuing the addiction.

Again its down to education, and trying to inform people that the kick that is seen as a cool experience is actually the first step to becoming an addict.

are they really? Whos going to be liable, as I can only think of a few places that deal in those that would be filling tax returns.

The eu have used £4.4 billion from our drug economy and £5 billion from prostitution and added this to our gdp. This is where the £1.3 billion bill came from

There are several factors as to why some move onto heroin, and the people affected are from all walks of life. Stress, marital breakdown, loss of employment, bankrupcy. The list is pretty broad. What is confusing is the reasons behind heroin use in the under 25 bracket. There is no clear definition as to why they may choose to take it, but what is apparent is that a huge percentage of this group have used softer drugs beforehand. To get reasons and explainations from users is a difficult path, that can take several months to achieve, but in the main a typical user is not what you would think. Yes, kids like to experiment, but because the expected "high" is what people see day to day in the media, and that "high" that is expected by a first time user enevitably ends up as a need, thus casuing the addiction.

Again its down to education, and trying to inform people that the kick that is seen as a cool experience is actually the first step to becoming an addict.

I think the under 25 age group use it for the same reasons the over 25 age group do. Mental trauma of some kind.

Also, I'd hazard a guess that the over 25 age group have used softer drugs previously too. I don't think many people would go from tee total to heroin.

Which poses my next question. Would these people of had access to heroin if they didn't buy their drugs from a dealer, illegally?

How would a recreational drug user make the step from soft drugs to heroin, if the only place heroin was available was from a professional health worker, via a prescription from a GP or such like?

You'd still argue with yourself :hihi:

It would make a change from arguing with you under your multiple identities.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 20:51 ----------

Remove drugs from the street. That's the only sensible option.

More sniffer dogs at the ports should help with that one.

Edited by anfisa

I think the under 25 age group use it for the same reasons the over 25 age group do. Mental trauma of some kind.

Also, I'd hazard a guess that the over 25 age group have used softer drugs previously too. I don't think many people would go from tee total to heroin.

Which poses my next question. Would these people of had access to heroin if they didn't buy their drugs from a dealer, illegally?

How would a recreational drug user make the step from soft drugs to heroin, if the only place heroin was available was from a professional health worker, via a prescription from a GP or such like?

Ive no doubt that the older users will have had or used something in their lifetimes, and I see your point about how diificult it would be for a user to obtain heroin from a regulated source, and that is why I still believe that the backstreet dealers will never go away should these substances be made legal.

Surely the only feasable way forward would be in the education and non-glamourisation of drugs in the first place. We see it, day in day out on our TV,s and in the cinema, and in my humble opinion I believe that the temptation to experiment is there for ALL to see, like some sort of normal practice, yet the next step of addiction is in no way as paramount, but is the sad realisation of the result?

Ive no doubt that the older users will have had or used something in their lifetimes, and I see your point about how diificult it would be for a user to obtain heroin from a regulated source, and that is why I still believe that the backstreet dealers will never go away should these substances be made legal.

Surely the only feasable way forward would be in the education and non-glamourisation of drugs in the first place. We see it, day in day out on our TV,s and in the cinema, and in my humble opinion I believe that the temptation to experiment is there for ALL to see, like some sort of normal practice, yet the next step of addiction is in no way as paramount, but is the sad realisation of the result?

I totally agree when you talk about education.

However, I do think removing it from the street into a medical environment will stop dealers selling it. I think the majority of people end up using heroin as a result of the source of purchase and the environment that they use it in.

I also don't think heroin is ever glamorised on TV or in films.

However, I do think removing it from the street into a medical environment will stop dealers selling it. I think the majority of people end up using heroin as a result of the source of purchase and the environment that they use it in.

Stopping it at the ports would be a start, and more people are currently killed by prescription pain killers than are killed by illegal heroin and cocaine combined.

There is a lot of pros and cons, and until some sort of practice is put in place, we can only speculate. Im not a great cinema buff, but a quick wiki shows many films that have, to some extent, glamourised drug use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drug_films.

I dont believe that we should use wiki or google as if it were coming from our own mouths, but you see the point im trying to say. If there were no more media images or visuals of drug use, but a whole range of public information platforms, would this message finally start to hit home?

still believe that the backstreet dealers will never go away should these substances be made legal.

Surely the only feasable way forward would be in the education and non-glamourisation of drugs in the first place.

THis is what I was saying earlier, when a liverpool gp surgery was giving out heroin, the dealers simply left the area. I know they moved to the next area and that there responsible for creating the problem in the first place but it did remove the incentive from that particular area to deal heroin there.

that surely isn't be a bad thing, can it?