Tourist attractions in city centre with wheelchair access

Maureen ann

i am visiting Sheffield in the next couple of weeks with my husband who is a wheelchair user. We are staying at Meadowhall and coming into town on the tram. Where would you recommend we visit in the city centre that has good wheelchair access. Please include good eateries in this.

Its all relatively flat, with some inclines here or there. Is his wheelchair electric, as that might make it easier for you to get around for the most part.

Lunch in the Peace Gardens/Winter Gardens might be best. Depending on your budget theres loads to be had. I know inside Browns theres a lift or most places are on one level.

Hi - what are you interested in, both in terms of visiting and eating?

In terms of visiting, we have the Winter Gardens/Millenium Galleries, you shouldn't have issues with access there. http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/museums/millennium-gallery/home

Easiest way to get there is alight the tram at Cathedral, cross the road and follow the pedestrianised shopping area (Fargate) to the other end and turn left. You will see the quite distinctive giant greenhouse on your right.

In terms of dining out, there are some pubs and cafes in old buildings where access isn't ideal but other than that you should be OK.

Following websites may help: http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/visit or http://www.eatsheffield.com/

Or post what kind of food you like and I'm sure people on here will come up with some suggestions.

Thank you for replies. I visit Sheffield quite often to stay with family. I had already pencilled in The Winter Gardens. Does anyone know what access is like at the Wharf as I have never been there and have heard mixed reviews re access. Someone suggested The Cutlers Hall but didn't realise it was open to the public. I keep telling my husband Sheffield City centre is worth visiting I hope he agrees!

Millennium Galleries, Winter Gardens area all interesting with masses of eating places around. Patisserie Valerie in Barker's Pool is a favourite.

You can borrow an electric scooter from Shopmobility which is well hidden away on Eldon Street, just behind the Tesco on West Street. They have free parking for Blue Badge holders and nice volunteers. Sheffield Shopmobility is the city's best kept secret and should occupy a much more prominent position. It is obviously run on a shoestring and deserves a lot more help from Sheffield Council and traders. On a cold or wet winter's day it is a miserable trip to the city centre.

The Wharf?? Kelham Island area?

The public access around the flats is modern and flat, but to get near the museum and such, is coble stones, so not sure how comfy that would be in a wheelchair.

I am presuming the OP is referring to Victoria Quays. If it is a nice day, I would recommend a quick visit, as it is lovely down there, the old Quay buildings are excellent, and there is a nice cafe for coffee too. Access-wise, it might be a slight pain. From memory, the Quays is around 75% cobbled, but there is a paved path too, so it's not the best for access, but OK. The tunnel to get in is level access, and there are dropped kerbs for the road crossing. I think the only irritation would be having to weave down through the frankly awful Castlegate area of town and across Exchange Place to get there.

I am presuming the OP is referring to Victoria Quays. If it is a nice day, I would recommend a quick visit, as it is lovely down there, the old Quay buildings are excellent, and there is a nice cafe for coffee too. Access-wise, it might be a slight pain. From memory, the Quays is around 75% cobbled, but there is a paved path too, so it's not the best for access, but OK. The tunnel to get in is level access, and there are dropped kerbs for the road crossing. I think the only irritation would be having to weave down through the frankly awful Castlegate area of town and across Exchange Place to get there.

You can access the quay area from the Ponds Forge stop by going back over the bridge and then across another bridge towards Blast lane parallel to the Parkway (cycle path). 700m

Kelham Island (not Monday)is accessible from here via Sheaf Quay and Derek Dooley Way then Alma Street another 1100m

To Shalesmoor tramstop is 800m.

Most Sheffield buses are wheelchair friendly.

If doing the centre use City Hall tramstop and end up at the Railway station(lifts) for the tram or a train back to Meadowhall.