Should Andy Burnham be the next Labour leader?

I was very impressed with Andy Burnham's position; his compassion, integrity, and tenacity with regard to helping the Hillsborough Families.

He seems a million miles away from Blair's 'stage-directed concern' we were subjected to regularly a few years ago.

Do others think he would make a good Labour leader?

When he was an up and coming Labour MP (he was my local MP) he'd go to the opening of an envelope to get publicity and coverage in the paper. He's done very little for the people and town of Leigh (it could be Rotherham's twin), but loads for his own career, jumping on any bandwagon he can to garner support.

Today its the NHS, but he'd do well to remember his own failings:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/andy-burnham-defends-labours-record-as-healthcare-report-shines-light-on-failings-under-previous-government-8707965.html

Edited by alchresearch

I was very impressed with Andy Burnham's position; his compassion, integrity, and tenacity with regard to helping the Hillsborough Families.

He seems a million miles away from Blair's 'stage-directed concern' we were subjected to regularly a few years ago.

Do others think he would make a good Labour leader?

He's appalling, yet another Blairite careerist. If you want to know what he's really like look at the footage of when he was a minister and addressing Liverpool fans about Hillsborough. He sat on the fence so much they started chanting "Justice for the 96" making him climb down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/5160448/Liverpool-fans-turn-on-Andy-Burnham-at-Hillsborough-memorial.html

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 11:37 ----------

Think they'd do better with DM

As DM is not only not a MP but also not even a British resident he's not available. Throwing the dummy out of the pram and running off to New York because his ego had been bruised showed what kind of spineless careerist he is.

He's appalling, yet another Blairite careerist. If you want to know what he's really like look at the footage of when he was a minister and addressing Liverpool fans about Hillsborough. He sat on the fence so much they started chanting "Justice for the 96" making him climb down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/5160448/Liverpool-fans-turn-on-Andy-Burnham-at-Hillsborough-memorial.html

As DM is not only not a MP but also not even a British resident he's not available. Throwing the dummy out of the pram and running off to New York because his ego had been bruised showed what kind of spineless careerist he is.

Agree about both Andy Burnham and David Miliband. Even if Burnham has been one of Labour's better shadow ministers, his record in office was that of an ultra Blairite and as such, I don't think he can reform the Labour party as is clearly necessary.

The author of the article you link to, shares my opinion, that the display at the Anfield Memorial Service was nothing personal but a protest against a government, in fact a series of governments that had failed the victims and their families.

It does go on to state though, that Andy made the mistake of not promising a new enquiry on the spot. I thought he had. :huh:

I watched the whole of the service live on LiverpoolFC TV. I thought Andy Burnham responded entirely appropriately, and graciously in response to the crowd and has proved ever since that he was genuine in seeking justice for the families.

I think he's a million miles from Blair, as I said in the OP, but looking at the responses, including yours, perhaps I am seeing him through rose-tinted glasses? I don't know. :huh:

Perhaps people are just angry because there is no good person to lead Labour at the moment.

That gibbering fool Millibrain should have been shown the door years ago, but he's still hanging around like a bad smell and he's going to ruin any chance of a good showing at the next election.