Should Andy Burnham be the next Labour leader?

I quietly dropped 50 quid on Cooper and May to be the next Labour and Tory party leaders 18 months ago when nobody fancied them at all. Now, they are both favourites,

I wouldn't say Burnham has no chance, but I'd be surprised if he gets there.

I quietly dropped 50 quid on Cooper and May to be the next Labour and Tory party leaders 18 months ago when nobody fancied them at all. Now, they are both favourites,

Jilly Cooper and Bryan May, I presume.

He's appalling, yet another Blairite careerist. If you want to know what he's really like look at the footage of when he was a minister and addressing Liverpool fans about Hillsborough. He sat on the fence so much they started chanting "Justice for the 96" making him climb down.

Yet more negativity from the forums gloomy one.

I know, for a change, lets hear who you support, or who you agree with....

I think he's a million miles from Blair, as I said in the OP, but looking at the responses, including yours, perhaps I am seeing him through rose-tinted glasses? I don't know. :huh:

Actually having seen him on telly in the last day or two on the NHS A&E crises he's come across much better than most politicians. He's actually identified causes of and solutions to the problem rather than spouting the usual vacuous inanities that come out of politicians' gobs. He's gone up a lot in my estimation as a result. But I qualify that by not putting too much emphasis on what people are like in opposition.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 18:56 ----------

Yet more negativity from the forums gloomy one.

Because you're Mr Happy Bunny.

Actually having seen him on telly in the last day or two on the NHS A&E crises he's come across much better than most politicians. He's actually identified causes of and solutions to the problem rather than spouting the usual vacuous inanities that come out of politicians' gobs.

Its easy to criticise when you're an armchair expert on the sidelines though. Like I posted earlier in the thread, his track record when he was in charge of the NHS isn't exemplary.

Burnham became Health Minister in 2009 when Circle Holdings took on the franchise to run Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Cambridgeshire.

That was then but now;

"A company which became the first private firm to manage an NHS hospital says it wants to "withdraw from its contract".

Circle Holdings, which operates Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Cambridgeshire, said its franchise is "no longer viable under current terms".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-30740956

Burnham became Health Minister in 2009 when Circle Holdings took on the franchise to run Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Cambridgeshire.

That was then but now;

"A company which became the first private firm to manage an NHS hospital says it wants to "withdraw from its contract".

Circle Holdings, which operates Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Cambridgeshire, said its franchise is "no longer viable under current terms".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-30740956

Like Burnham who oversaw the private healthcare company Circle start to operate in Cambridgeshire; The hated ATOS took over the Work Capability Assessments when Labour were in power too. Incidentally, on this last point people may have missed that another bit of the NHS is being sold off: https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/us-healthcare-firm-takes-over-from-gps-to-treat-workers-on-sick-leave-nhs-privatisation-is-already-happening/

Edited by Mister M

Like Burnham who oversaw the private healthcare company Circle start to operate in Cambridgeshire; The hated ATOS took over the Work Capability Assessments when Labour were in power too. Incidentally, on this last point people may have missed that another bit of the NHS is being sold off: https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/us-healthcare-firm-takes-over-from-gps-to-treat-workers-on-sick-leave-nhs-privatisation-is-already-happening/

Yeah it's stuff like this that make we wonder why people are painting the Labour Party as saviours of the NHS. They are nothing of the sort.