Paris shooting. 17 dead

Terrorist killing, random killing. Religious nuts, nuts who are nuts. All comes down to the same in the end. Guns are used and people have died. The reasons have little to do with the result

You really do spout some crap. To say that a terrorist attack like yesterday's is just the same as the kind of mass shooting you get in the USA on a regular basis is like saying September 11th was just another plane crash.

Another two people shot in Paris.

They didn't say if it's connected yet but some reports are connecting them

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/charlie-hebdo-terror-attack-two-4939309

Two more policeman have been shot in Paris as a gunman fled to the subway, according to reports.

The man opened fire with a machine gun, leaving two officers injured in the Porte de Chatillon area in the south of the city, French media report.

The incident happened just after 8am near a Metro station.

At this stage it is not known if the shooting is linked to yesterdays' massacre of 12 people at the office of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo by Islamic extremists.

Reports suggest one policeman is "seriously" injured.

They were attending a routine road incident when at least one man arrived wearing a backpack and opened fire.

http://news.sky.com/story/1404026/what-we-know-about-shooting-suspects

The youngest of the three men suspected of carrying out the deadly attack on the offices of Charlie Hebdo has handed himself in.

Edited by anfisa

You can find someone to be offended at anything if you wait long enough and look hard enough. People use "I'm offended at that" as a weapon.

Well so b****** well what?

I'm offended that someone burns poppies. But I don't stop them or attack them because that's an offence against MY freedom of speech. If I were to stop someone from burning a poppy, that's MY freedoms I am eroding, for it then stops me from poking fun at YWHW, Allah, Iehovah, etc. It stops me from telling jokes about a dyslexic devil worshipper who sacrifices his soul to Santa. It stops me from commenting on a board like this.

As Voltaire said with a little paraphrasing - I may find your position to be utterly offensive and vile and untenable, but I'll defend your right to say it to the death..

Absolutely correct.

Any magazine in this country who printed anything like the Charlie Hebdo cartoon would be open to prosecution under section 5 of the public order act.

"(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he: (a) uses threatening [or abusive] words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening [or abusive],within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

Something to remember when you hear mainstream UK politicians vowing to defend western freedom of speech. Because they are lying.

Any magazine in this country who printed anything like the Charlie Hebdo cartoon would be open to prosecution under section 5 of the public order act.

"(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he: (a) uses threatening [or abusive] words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening [or abusive],within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

Something to remember when you hear mainstream UK politicians vowing to defend western freedom of speech. Because they are lying.

Then you clearly don't understand what the word "threatening" means, or what the words "public order" mean.

funnily enough its exactly attitudes and views fostered by people we see day in day out on forums such of this one attributing acts of barbarity such as this one to Muslims as a whole and so are fostering any acts of vigilantism with their blind ignorance and hate

Obviously only a handful of extremists are directly to blame for the terrorist attack but it does not change the fact that they are product of Islam/Islamic culture, which has a serious and disproportionate problem with violent and intolerant extremism. All Muslim who perpetuate the religion/culture therefore share collective blame for the excessive extremism that is part and parcel of it.

Mel - You worry that by saying this it invites retaliation, which will in turn lead to tit-for-tat reprisals that will take us to some horrible place. To an extent you are right that there is a 'self-fulfilling prophecy' risk but trying to stop people publicly saying what everyone is already thinking and discussing in private is futile... it is too late. We need Muslims to wake up to the fact that they face collective blame and reprisals (regardless of whether it is fair, just or reasonable) if they do not get the extremism in check.

I don't say this because I want conflict but because I want to avoid it. Pretending a risk does not exist, instead of managing it, makes it more likely that the risk will become an issue. You might not like sticking all the responsibility for managing the risk onto Muslims but they are the only ones who can do anything about it and it is also them who will experience the worst of the consequences if the risk becomes and issue. Fair has nothing to do with it... it is just the reality of the situation.