Paris shooting. 17 dead

I'm really not. You need to read what I've written, rather than doing your usual knee-jerk stuff.

I don't have a usual. As usual you made that up.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 00:03 ----------

NOUS SOMMES CHARLIE :thumbsup: Ma femme et moi
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So, we boycott a corner shop because.....?

What can the average small business do to influence a bunch of nutters in masks who hide in the shadows as opposed to (wrongly in my view anyway) trying to influence an elected, accountable government?

Dreadful comparison. It's like asking what footballers are trying to do to stop rapists.

Weren't most of the Israeli population not involved in any retaliation when Hamas attacked them with rockets. Why then was there a call to boycott Israeli businesses?

OK Sibon. Im going to be brutally honest here.

Have you got me mixed up with somebody else on this thread? That is a serious question, because ive only posted 7 times, and never mentioned the 5m in France nor did I ever incriminate them???? Ever???

Have a look at my posts old chum, because im pretty sure youve mixed me up with someone else!!:)

Ok Gimp. I've done that. I think you should too.

There is an edge there of blaming a large group of people for the actions of a few nutters. Maybe I've been a little over sensitive, but look at the bits that you've enlarged and emboldened, look at your references to the twin towers. That's all a little bit leading in my opinion. You do have a point though, maybe I've read too much into that.

So, let's take a step back and see where we get to.

The attack is clearly horrendous. How should we all respond? How do we fight this thing?

"On Sunday 11th January 2015, at 3pm, at Barker's Pool, Sheffield City Centre, a service of commemoration, remembrance and solidarity for those killed in the recent atrocities in Paris will be held. The event will be reflecting on the lives of those killed and injured, and celebrating their work, as well as the ideals that they lived and died for.

This event has the full backing of the local council and the Lord Mayor and the leader of the council are due to be in attendance; MPs will be invited, and we hope for a good turnout from the public.

We intend that the event will be a time for reflection, expression and prayer; we will be taking the opportunity to talk about the importance of free speech, respect, tolerance and support, and how these precious values hold our society together.

Speakers will be from a variety of backgrounds and will represent a variety of beliefs and ideals."

Facebook Page.

Ok Gimp. I've done that. I think you should too.

There is an edge there of blaming a large group of people for the actions of a few nutters. Maybe I've been a little over sensitive, but look at the bits that you've enlarged and emboldened, look at your references to the twin towers. That's all a little bit leading in my opinion. You do have a point though, maybe I've read too much into that.

So, let's take a step back and see where we get to.

The attack is clearly horrendous. How should we all respond? How do we fight this thing?

If you want me to be as honest as I possibly can, I think the way forward is for all faiths from all communities to come together and speak out. The leader of the MCB was on newsnight last night, with the cartoonist from I think The Guardian, and it was clear that both of them were a little tetchcy about the whole French affair, especially when talking to each other. I think fear and pride are at the heart of religious tension, and that barrier needs to be broken without haste. We need to pull together, and assist all communities to educate each other to fish out and eradicate extremism.

And I apologise for the calpol remark, and would appreciate a spoonful to calm me down.;)

I don't have a usual. As usual you made that up.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Weren't most of the Israeli population not involved in any retaliation when Hamas attacked them with rockets. Why then was there a call to boycott Israeli businesses?

Are you going to boycott Muslim businesses?

There was also an attempted bombing in America on the same day (I think). The attacker attempted to blow up the NAAPC headquarters.

Hardly got any media coverage and was labelled as an isolated event, possibly domestic terrorism, but it's yet to be determined.

The man was not a Muslim.

If you want me to be as honest as I possibly can, I think the way forward is for all faiths from all communities to come together and speak out. The leader of the MCB was on newsnight last night, with the cartoonist from I think The Guardian, and it was clear that both of them were a little tetchcy about the whole French affair, especially when talking to each other. I think fear and pride are at the heart of religious tension, and that barrier needs to be broken without haste. We need to pull together, and assist all communities to educate each other to fish out and eradicate extremism.

And I apologise for the calpol remark, and would appreciate a spoonful to calm me down.;)

The calpol remark was pretty harmless really:cool: You should try something stronger.

I agree with most of your post. I do think that we need to be a bit less sensitive though. We shouldn't be afraid to offend other groups, but we should be equally ready to accept challenge from them. That's what free speech is all about in my opinion.

So, in this case, I'd like to see those cartoons replicated in every major world newspaper. I'd also welcome a detailed, rational, dialogue with Muslims about those cartoons.

The calpol remark was pretty harmless really:cool: You should try something stronger.

I agree with most of your post. I do think that we need to be a bit less sensitive though. We shouldn't be afraid to offend other groups, but we should be equally ready to accept challenge from them. That's what free speech is all about in my opinion.

So, in this case, I'd like to see those cartoons replicated in every major world newspaper. I'd also welcome a detailed, rational, dialogue with Muslims about those cartoons.

OK, time to bring out the big guns. I will see your calpol, and raise you with a covonia:hihi:

I think last nights newsnight should be on youtube, as its on topic with the murders, but it did seem like neither guests wanted or felt comfortable speaking about it, especially the cartoonist, really choosing their words to the point of erring and erming most of the time, which is unusual as the whole point of being on the program was to discuss the topic. Surely that is a sign of a barrier on free speech between different cultures that really should be debated openly and on the table.

I saw that Youtube video too, horrible.

Conspiracy theories are coming out already, but watching one showing this video...

The bullet appeared to miss, there was no blood or movement of the officer shot.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 02:38 ----------

ISIS, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Catholicism, Westboro Baptist church, Scientology, Atheists, the deaf, the blind, the dead, the living. They are all fair game in a society that has freedom of the press, speech or expression.

What about *******, pufters, carpet lickers, sluts, and kikes?

edit - swear filter has removed my 'freedom of speech'

Edited by chem1st