Weight of school books..

When I was at senior school in the 1950s each pupil had a desk where they kept their books and just took one or two home at night to do their homework.

I pick my 16 year old g/daughter up a couple of times a week and nearly have a hernia picking up her bag containing just her books.

I've just weighed it............6Kg i.e. 13lbs.

No wonder she gets shoulder painsand it's not as if she's a chunky lass.

Surely this can't be good for kid's posture.

In the 70`s we had to carry the same sort of weight in books everyday AND a few of us had to walk 2 mile to school and 2 mile home as there were no school buses ,and none of this parents picking the kids up like today.

In the 70`s we had to carry the same sort of weight in books everyday AND a few of us had to walk 2 mile to school and 2 mile home as there were no school buses ,and none of this parents picking the kids up like today.

.......and eat a handful of cold gravel and lick road clean wi tongue. :hihi:

I believe some students have been spotted getting books from the library for the purposes of study.

jb

Which is not at all what he said. Books from the library you take back to your room and keep there.

You don't lug piles of books back and forth to lectures, the whole point of a lecturer is that they lecture. They may well tell you what to read before the next lecture as well, but they don't have you read it whilst they are teaching.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 14:48 ----------

And it was still the same in the 80's and 90's, although it was only 1.5 miles for me...

Which is not at all what he said. Books from the library you take back to your room and keep there.

You don't lug piles of books back and forth to lectures, the whole point of a lecturer is that they lecture. They may well tell you what to read before the next lecture as well, but they don't have you read it whilst they are teaching.

You appear to be taking the thread to seriously. Calm down and have a biscuit.

jb

Are you talking about the 1870s? :hihi: