Can't afford the mansion tax?

Then sell up and move out of London!

If you have a £2 million home, you could move to anywhere else in the country!

How else are property developers and land lords going to get their hands on your home?

Standard stupidity from Labour. Penalise the rich and successful and reward the lazy work shy .

Penalise the rich? Half of them aren't rich, they just own a big house.

When the shoe is on the other foot and the topic is about increasing rent in London, you have a different attitude. You're happy to see middle class people kicked out of their homes.

What's the difference here? The cost of living is increasing, pay up or move out!

The south has higher house prices for a reason, because that is where there is more wealth. At least a mansion tax could get some money off the non-domiciled foreigners.

Let London sink into its own cesspool. When property prices go so high in London that no normal person can live there then the rich will miss their caretakers, waiters, taxi drivers, nurses, teachers etc and hopefully sod off to Beijing or Moscow.

It's why I'm against London weighting...it just encourages high prices. Let the market rule and let London rot. The bubble will burst, in the meantime the North beckons for both people who want affordable housing and businesses that don't want to pay excessive rents/rates/wages

And when all the poor people move out of London the rich can eat themselves in a Zombie apocalypse. No-one to serve their food, wipe their arss or clean their streets.

When the shoe is on the other foot and the topic is about increasing rent in London, you have a different attitude. You're happy to see middle class people kicked out of their homes.

What's the difference here? The cost of living is increasing, pay up or move out!

I would think the difference is that this is artificial.

If the government started a 'Sheffield tax' and made Sheffielders pay £100/month extra for living here, then would you say pay up or move out?

People buy their properties [most often] based on their income. I did when I bought my house, I didn't strangle myself of course, but I bought somewhere near the top of my budget (income).

I could have easily bought somewhere cheaper and had more disposable income, but I chose not to, because I'm not bothered about decent cars/holidays/dining out, etc. I rarely go out, so why live somewhere less nice (IMO) and have money sitting about.

If you want more money from people 'with money' rather than 'with high incomes' then there are much better ways. This word [mansion] just stinks of 'punish the rich because they live in a property with a title that makes people sound rich'

Let London sink into its own cesspool. When property prices go so high in London that no normal person can live there then the rich will miss their caretakers, waiters, taxi drivers, nurses, teachers etc and hopefully sod off to Beijing or Moscow.

It's why I'm against London weighting...it just encourages high prices. Let the market rule and let London rot. The bubble will burst, in the meantime the North beckons for both people who want affordable housing and businesses that don't want to pay excessive rents/rates/wages

And when all the poor people move out of London the rich can eat themselves in a Zombie apocalypse. No-one to serve their food, wipe their arss or clean their streets.

Bold, I know you PoV from over time, and can see your points, but isn't this encouraging it more? Or just bringing in a tax to make us in the poorer north get smug about people with more money?

Aren't most capitals like this though? Or at least big cities. Look at NYC. I went there, and could barely afford a beer let alone a flat :hihi:

I just think it's ill thought out, and probably will not make a lot of money, other than deferred payments that they can borrow against. That isn't a solution to me, that's just the left trying badly to join into capitalism.

Haha! Funny as that is, there's the small issue of middle and working class Londoners that get forced out of their homes.

I think the mansion tax is eminently sensible IF applied to newly bought properties only. Not sure what the proposals entail, but slamming it onto people just because their family home happens to be in Kensington should be out of the question.

I would think the difference is that this is artificial.

If the government started a 'Sheffield tax' and made Sheffielders pay £100/month extra for living here, then would you say pay up or move out?

People buy their properties [most often] based on their income. I did when I bought my house, I didn't strangle myself of course, but I bought somewhere near the top of my budget (income).

I could have easily bought somewhere cheaper and had more disposable income, but I chose not to, because I'm not bothered about decent cars/holidays/dining out, etc. I rarely go out, so why live somewhere less nice (IMO) and have money sitting about.

If you want more money from people 'with money' rather than 'with high incomes' then there are much better ways. This word [mansion] just stinks of 'punish the rich because they live in a property with a title that makes people sound rich'

I agree. The OP is a stab at the people who thought the families of the New Era Estate should either pay their increased rent, other leave central London, where they work and where their friends, families, community and, above all, their home is.

I don't necessarily agree with the mansion tax to be honest. I do however, think that this is a very similar situation that the richer families are facing. The difference is, many of them could probably afford the £3,000 a year. Their property will probably increase in value by that about every year anyway.

I agree. The OP is a stab at the people who thought the families of the New Era Estate should either pay their increased rent, other leave central London, where they work and where their friends, families, community and, above all, their home is.

If the reason for the mansion tax was to 'equalise' things as far as this new era estate was concerned then it's school playground nonsense logic.

The fact is that no one particularly likes politicians or investment bankers, and this sounds like a 'two wrongs make a right' type scenario to win votes from people who aren't bright enough to see the bigger picture.

Someone who lives is a £2m+ property in London (other than politicians or InvBankers!!:hihi:) are as likely to not like the two as much as the rest of the population. I think it was a LibDem idea, but Labour have said they like it, and to me this is nothing more than trying to punish people who make more money than the rest of society. It's nonsense left-wing policy and doesn't work.

I'm not rich (in fact the way poverty is worked out, I'm considered to be in poverty, which is absolute f'ing nonsense), but I can see the PoV from both, if I worked hard at a business and it succeeded, then I would feel like I was being punished if I was singled out for more tax. I'd just try and avoid it.

I don't necessarily agree with the mansion tax to be honest. I do however, think that this is a very similar situation that the richer families are facing. The difference is, many of them could probably afford the £3,000 a year. Their property will probably increase in value by that about every year anyway.

Bold: they probably could. And if the £100/month Sheffield tax occurred then I could probably afford it. I'd have to cut down on some things. I wouldn't think it was fair though unless I saw results from it, and the problem now is that we are trying to balance the budget, and that means they/or I would see no benefit, only loss.

Underlined: Very very bad economics though. It's like what I think what will happen with this, everything will be deferred debt, and borrowing against it. It's capitalism, but the worst part of capitalism.

PFI ring any bells? (country wise)

Do my old credit cards ring any bells? (personal wise)