Historic offenses!!

Because a clip round the ear would be a common assault which is statute barred after six months.

and you sort of answer your question in your last sentence when you state that the attitudes are unacceptable by ' today's' standards.

Stop drinking and posting ��

The charge might be barred after six months if charges were brought against the copper back then but if the victims compliant hadn't been seriously investigated untill now it'd be a different story wouldn't it!! And regarding your last comment, the attitudes that are deemed unacceptable today are the very same attitudes that tv programs instilled in us forty years ago. We were actively encouraged to laugh at the mockery and devaluation of women and ethnic minorities back then which inevitably led to women and ethnic minorities being mocked and devalued in everyday life.

If you actually watched Love thy Neighbour or Alf Garnett you would have noticed that it was always the bigot and the sexist that was made to look a fool.

By the way, I received a clip round the ear from a bobby when I was a young lad for swearing. He then told me he was going to speak to my parents.

It wasn't til after months of worry that I realised he didn't know who I was.

I see it as a defining moment in my life as my parents said I was a gobby little so and so but appears to have turned out ok.

Do you think I should put in a complaint?

Why isn't being clipped around the ear by a copper during the 70's considered an historic offense? And why isn't anyone accusing the tv sit-com writers and tv comics of the 70's of actively promoting their sexist, racist bigoted attitudes to tv audiences around the country effectively making them guilty of conditioning the minds and instilling into them the sexist, racist bigoted attitudes that are deemed unacceptable by today's standards?

It could be argued that the 70's sitcoms were a reflection of society not the other way around.

Personally, apart from the obvious things such as rape and underage child abuse etc, I think its folly to judge societies of the past by the standards of today. Society is in a constant state of evolution on the road to perfection, and we're not there yet.

Edited by Hot As Sun

If you actually watched Love thy Neighbour or Alf Garnett you would have noticed that it was always the bigot and the sexist that was made to look a fool.

By the way, I received a clip round the ear from a bobby when I was a young lad for swearing. He then told me he was going to speak to my parents.

It wasn't til after months of worry that I realised he didn't know who I was.

I see it as a defining moment in my life as my parents said I was a gobby little so and so but appears to have turned out ok.

Do you think I should put in a complaint?

So it was acceptable for a sit-com writer to write sexist, racist material so long as the bigot and the target viewers who adopt his dry wit were made to look the fool? Hee hee! Now I get it! With regard to claiming that no harm was done to you after being clipped round the ear by a bobby- sounds to me like you'd still find it acceptable if it hadn't been outlawed? Am I right? If your answer is no, perhaps you should complain!

Why isn't being clipped around the ear by a copper during the 70's considered an historic offense? And why isn't anyone accusing the tv sit-com writers and tv comics of the 70's of actively promoting their sexist, racist bigoted attitudes to tv audiences around the country effectively making them guilty of conditioning the minds and instilling into them the sexist, racist bigoted attitudes that are deemed unacceptable by today's standards?

Why don't you put some complaints in and see what happens? That would keep you busy and spare us any more of your nonsense.

Whilst you have the green biro out, why not complain about Mystic Meg. Remember that time that she failed to conjure up that promised tall, dark stranger for you?

It could be argued that the 70's sitcoms were a reflection of society not the other way around.

Personally, apart from the obvious things such as rape and underage child abuse etc, I think its folly to judge societies of the past by the standards of today. Society is in a constant state of evolution on the road to perfection, and we're not there yet.

Agreed!

Likewise, it could be argued that 70's sit-com television was making light of a something that was considered the norm since no one ever questioned it!! The same applies to sitcoms about teachers lusting over their young pupils and tv comics such as Benny Hill groping scantily dressed women and forcing himself on them. Now, forty years later the aftermath isn't a laughing matter anymore.

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 20:10 ----------

Danot, have you ever considered just saying what you actually think, rather than talking in riddles all the time?

Riddles??

PIFFLE!!!

I can remember getting a write slapping about from the coppers when I was a lad more than once, I can still remember the name of one of the coppers, hes probably dead and gone now though,don't get me wrong I know I was a bad lad when I was younger, bet Id have a right case for compensation nowadays.I do agree with donut the coppers were bad in the past they would think nothing of giving you a good kicking,

Edited by Lobos

Why don't you put some complaints in and see what happens? That would keep you busy and spare us any more of your nonsense.

Whilst you have the green biro out, why not complain about Mystic Meg. Remember that time that she failed to conjure up that promised tall, dark stranger for you?

So because the sit-com writers of the 70's weren't to know how attitudes in society might change forty years on it's okay?

That'd explain why the celebs of the 70's are being reeled in like fish for Committing sex offenses.

So because the sit-com writers of the 70's weren't to know how attitudes in society might change forty years on it's okay?

That'd explain why the celebs of the 70's are being reeled in like fish for Committing sex offenses.

The thing that explains why 70's celebs are being reeled in for sex offences is that most people these days think victims should have a voice and that we shouldn't let sex offenders get away with it.