Rich get richer and the working age poor get poorer

It's not a sad thing that people aren't voting. People are still engaged. People are just realising that there's no real difference between the big parties and voting is futile, especially the youth.

If you believe this then please vote Tory at the next election. It makes so much difference as to whether we have an economically literate government or a bunch of spend spend spend monkeys.

If you believe this then please vote Tory at the next election. It makes so much difference as to whether we have an economically literate government or a bunch of spend spend spend monkeys.

Both wast our money on a stupid idiotic scale.

Both wast our money on a stupid idiotic scale.

Yes, but at least Labour don't give it ALL to their mates, so they are still slightly the lesser evil, only by a margin - as I said earlier, the gap between rich and poor still widened under them, which is a disgrace.

Often we hear the phrase, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer".

But this isn't true, at this moment in time. Poor pensioners haven't been getting poorer, they haven't been subject to most of the cuts and levies that the poor have, they have been exempt.

Instead, people today should be saying, "the rich get richer and the working age poor get poorer".

Remember this when somebody next says, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". You can then correct them so that the age discrimination that is rife in our society can be acknowledged.

What do you think?

The normal working week in this country is 40 hours. The government set a minimum of £6.50 an hour, in other words £260 per week as a minimum income to live on, therefore every person on state pension should receive £260 per week.

The normal working week in this country is 40 hours. The government set a minimum of £6.50 an hour, in other words £260 per week as a minimum income to live on, therefore every person on state pension should receive £260 per week.
why?

Most 40 hr/wk jobs don't pay for 40 hrs, lunch is unpaid.

Pensioners don't have to buy cars to commute or pay for bus/train fares to earn money.

They don't have to buy work clothes.

They don't have the "hassle factor" of having to get up early or work shifts to get their money.

and those earning £6.40 for 40 hours will pay tax & NI, so should state pension be taxable and NIable.

And what about free transport, fuel winter payments etc? Should they go to the working folk too.

I'm not wanting to crush pensioners' finances - that is not my argument, I'm just saying you're not comparing apples with apples

Penistone999?

Im not the only private landlord on here you know. Owning rental machines is very popular these days you know. Good little earners.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 17:20 ----------

As long as you don't hike the rent up so it's unaffordable for your tenants. Britain needs more ethical land lords :)

Being ethical dosnt earn money . :)

Being ethical dosnt earn money . :)

Try telling that crock of cow dump to the farmers that are being squeezed dry by the global food market. Then take a look at the smile on the face of a farmer that's supplying the local communities.

I thought you were a businessman? If you were, you'd know your statement was not true.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 17:26 ----------

Yes, but at least Labour don't give it ALL to their mates, so they are still slightly the lesser evil, only by a margin - as I said earlier, the gap between rich and poor still widened under them, which is a disgrace.

A lesser of 2 evils isn't good enough though.

Try telling that crock of cow dump to the farmers that are being squeezed dry by the global food market. Then take a look at the smile on the face of a farmer that's supplying the local communities.

I thought you were a businessman? If you were, you'd know your statement was not true.

Exactly, and the demise of Tesco is testimony to that.

A lesser of 2 evils isn't good enough though.

It's all we've got.

And to those who think the elderly aren't feeling the pinch enough for you, have a look at this....

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnational-health2/excess-winter-mortality-in-england-and-wales/2012-13--provisional--and-2011-12--final-/stb-ewm-12-13.html

Its not planned that way to turn us against each other, it's planned that way because the majority of voters these days are pensioners. Sad thing is hardly anybody else can be arsed any more.

I've had the discussion about entitlement and pensioners before (I believe with Mr Bloom at the time) and it is an emotive subject (as you can see from his reaction). But it needs broaching because the simple fact is: Pensioners now have it far, far better than any of us will ever have it as pensioners. But apparently that is fair so we should not discuss that.

As the famous quote states

" In politics nothing happens by accident. If it happens it's a safe bet it was planned that way"

Older people have always been more likely to vote, they're more settled in whatever neighbourhood, have roots and generally prefer the status quo. Young people generally are the complete opposite.