Package holiday cheaper than book yourself?

We are thinking of going to Sicily in September - hoping to hire a villa for 5/6 people. Does anyone know if it works out cheaper to find and book your own place on internet and book flights separately or is it cheaper to just book package hol with villa/flights all included? Haven't really done this before so am a bit unsure whether just to book it all myself on internet or get a brochure and go through a travel agent. Thanks.

Really depends on where you are going and what your contacts are like. Package holidays tend to be cheaper to the resorts, if you want to stay in an independent house over there it can pay to do some homework.

I have a friend in Bari and he can get us a 10 person villa for under 700 euro per week:overlooking the Adriatic. But when I look myself they all appear to be over 1200.

So, have a chat with the owner of your local Italian restaurant to see if they know Sicily!

We are thinking of going to Sicily in September - hoping to hire a villa for 5/6 people. Does anyone know if it works out cheaper to find and book your own place on internet and book flights separately or is it cheaper to just book package hol with villa/flights all included? Haven't really done this before so am a bit unsure whether just to book it all myself on internet or get a brochure and go through a travel agent. Thanks.

Never had any trouble with any bookings I've made on http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk or http://www.homeaway.com and I've made quite a few, maybe 10 bookings through these sites.

Whenever I've looked at booking a villa as a package it's always been more expensive than booking direct and booking flights separately.

It also depends how you are getting there as well.

We are going to the amalfi Coast in July on the Motorbike

We take the overnight motorail from Den Bosch to Livorno. It's a nice relaxing journey.

It is possible to book a car and 5 people and could work out cheaper than flights.

It is usually much cheaper to book the accommodation separately to flights when booking something like a villa. However you might find that you aren't covered by ABTA or equiv, and depending on how you pay (for instance if you pay via bank transfer rather than credit card) you might not be protected at all if things go wrong. So just be very sure of the authenticity of the accommodation. That said, we have book independently for a number of years (not in Sicily though) and have never had a problem. Sites like ownersdirect and holidaylettings usually have reviews and state the number of years the accommodation has been listed.