Equality and employment - contracted hours

My contracted hours have changed from 30 - 37 and now back to 30; over the past 6 years. I work for a city council, driving a minibus. On council minibuses, we have passenger assistants that look after the passengers. These passenger assistants got a pay award(£3,000+) a few years back, due to the sex discimination laws, as did many other female, and I believe a few male, council employees.

So I work along side these passenger assistants, I drive the bus, but yet we are treated differently. I regard to uniform, and pay.

Passenger assistants get their hours estimated, so they do not fill in a weekly time sheet. My bosses are now saying that my hours should stay at 30 hours, when in fact I work between 36-38 hours. Are they breaking equality laws by treating us differently, both supply of uniform and pay?

They are saying drivers have more flexibility in their hours. How much differently can the council treat different workers?

If only there were trades unions representing council employees so that you could have asked them instead.

I am in Unison, but I wanted opinions from persons with no vested interests, the local reps are just ordinary workers that have been on a training coarse.

I am in Unison, but I wanted opinions from persons with no vested interests, the local reps are just ordinary workers that have been on a training coarse.

very few here wear a vest, things would be mightily different if they did.

your union reps will have a far better understanding of your employers policies and varieties of contracts of employment than anyone who posts here.

they will also have access to expert advice which is always preferable, but not necessarily as entertaining, as the ramblings of the carnival of the insane who nest here.

"The ‘equality of terms’ provisions in the Equality Act 2010 (the Act) entitle a woman doing equal work with a man in the same employment to equality in pay and other terms and conditions."

My employer pays at least 12% towards my pension, but I dont think that appies to overtime, so that is a large difference. Also holiday pay, I dont believe that overtimes gets taken into account. I need to get more factual information before I can take things further.