Passport photos

Are you still allowed to wear glasses for a new passport photo,ive looked on site and it just says there must be no glare from glasses,so is it still ok to wear them ?

You can have passport photos done at a post office where they will check that the ones taken are within the rules. I used the one on London Road a few years ago. I don't know which other ones offer this service but if you're not sure then it might be worth finding one.

From the Government website

"1.4 Glasses

Customers who wear glasses should remove them to ensure that an accurate biometric can be obtained. Glasses can often show reflection or glare from flash, and the frames can obscure facial features. While this may mean that their passport photo does not show them as they usually appear, their photo will still be a good likeness.

Customers with a visual impairment should also follow this guidance. Dark, tinted or mirrored glasses must be removed - otherwise a biometric cannot be captured."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/passport-photos-guide-for-photographers/guidance-for-photographers

• 8 months later...
No you have to remove them and you're not allowed to smile and you must keep your eyes open and look forward

No you don't. I renewed my passport a couple of years ago and it does say to remove them. I didn't have any contact lenses at that time and I can't do anything but screw my eyes up to try and focus without glasses on. My passport was processed and I use the electronic passport reader gates at the airport with my glasses on without a problem.

I would also like to add that my specs have every coating going on them. Often photos don't show my eyes even without the flash on, they show as blue lenses, a bit pearly / mirror looking due to the reflective coating I have on them. I have only had problems at the electronic gates if I'm tired and can't stand still and keep my eyes still long enough. I have always managed to get through. I use these gates twice a year.

Edited by Chez2

I re-newed my passport last month and was told I had to remove my glasses, not smile, look straight ahead, tuck my hair behind my ears and have nothing obscuring my neck area.

It is very strict now and just not worth the hassle of having an application refused.

I applied for a new passport a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't to sure about the dazzly glasses thing, so, although I wear them all the time normally, just took 'em off for the photos. No big deal.

I was surprised that it only took four days from posting the application to getting the new passport ... I was expecting it to take several weeks.

I re-newed my passport last month and was told I had to remove my glasses, not smile, look straight ahead, tuck my hair behind my ears and have nothing obscuring my neck area.

It is very strict now and just not worth the hassle of having an application refused.

I'm puzzled, a passport form can't speak. Do you mean the photographer asked to you to take off your specs? You don't have to do anything specific with your clothing or hair as long as your face is clearly visible. Your photographer was pulling your leg.