Heaven's eternity or eternal earthly wealth?

heaven or wealth?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. heaven or wealth?

• Wait for heaven
    • Give God the finger
    • other

I would actually be slightly concerned by some one with blind uncompromising faith be they religious fundamentalists that corrupt to their own agenda or militant atheists that lessen the human being, to me there both equally as dangerous to mankind.

What do you mean by "militant atheists that lessen the human being"?

If by that you mean an atheist who combats the blind uncompromising faith held by religious fundamentalists who deny people rights, allow children to go without medical care, chop peoples head off or imprision and torture those who speak out against the religious elements causing such misery, then I'd be proud to be called a militant atheist(I've been called one many a time too). If you think combating the blind ignorance and stupidity pushed by those religious elements lessens our humanity, then I think you hold some odd and dangerous beliefs.

But no. Atheists are branded militant for that and accused of lessening the human being. Crackers!

However It doesn't change the fact that I do have a faith which inevitably is personal to me and I don't have to prove it to anyone.

I think you'd find the vast majority of atheists - militant ones - would have no problem with that. After all, we are all entitled to hold personal beliefs regardless of what those beliefs are. That doesn't mean those personal beliefs shouldn't be questioned, condemned or even rediculed when you take those beliefs out of the personal sphere and make them public.

One of the things that never ceases to surprise me though is the number of Atheist's that spend so much time debating the presence of God and are then bothered by the standpoint of others if it's different to there belief in their pointless finite.

Maybe atheists spend a great deal of time debating because we recognise our lives are finite and because we don't want those who can't accept their lives are finite dictating how we should live our lives. If I want to work or press a button on a day that happens to be somebodies religious sabbath, I should be allowed to work or press a button on that day. If I think women, gays, non-believers - including people of faith - are being persecuted, oppressed because someone's irrational and baseless personal beliefs have entered the public sphere, thereby denying the rights of others to live their lives peacefully, I should be able to condemn and redicule those baseless and no-longer personal beliefs without the fear of being imprisioned, tortured or killed.

Edited by Ryedo40

If by that you mean an atheist who combats the blind uncompromising faith held by religious fundamentalists who deny people rights, allow children to go without medical care, chop peoples head off or imprision and torture those who speak out against the religious elements causing such misery, then I'd be proud to be called a militant atheist(I've been called one many a time too). If you think combating the blind ignorance and stupidity pushed by those religious elements lessens our humanity, then I think you hold some odd and dangerous beliefs.

But no. Atheists are branded militant for that and accused of lessening the human being. Crackers!

I think you'd find the vast majority of atheists - militant ones - would have no problem with that. After all, we are all entitled to hold personal beliefs regardless of what those beliefs are. That doesn't mean those personal beliefs shouldn't be questioned, condemned or even rediculed when you take those beliefs out of the personal sphere and make them public.

Maybe atheists spend a great deal of time debating because we recognise our lives are finite and because we don't want those who can't accept their lives are finite dictating how we should live our lives. If I want to work or press a button on a day that happens to be somebodies religious sabbath, I should be allowed to work or press a button on that day. If I think women, gays, non-believers - including people of faith - are being persecuted, oppressed because someone's irrational and baseless personal beliefs have entered the public sphere, thereby denying the rights of others to live their lives peacefully, I should be able to condemn and redicule those baseless and no-longer personal beliefs without the fear of being imprisioned, tortured or killed.

The first bit contained a decent question the rest of it was a rant

I was saddened to see you cherry picking bits of my contribution rather than taking it as it was intended which was an answer to Snailyboy's question.

God or religions that persecute, I don't believe in them either.

That's not my God nor my religion.

Further more my abject apologies if you felt personally ridiculed that was not my intention.

I don't intentionally ridicule anyone.

I suggest you look at the term human being outside the dictionary definition, especially in the theological, philosophical sense and then you will be able to gain an insight into what I meant by lessen the human being:)

Oh by the way that includes two words Human and Being, that's not me being patronising either!

Socrates was banging on about the "Being" bit yonks ago.

I also think you might find that most reasonable religious people have an aversion to extreme religious fundamentalists that corrupt, not just atheists!

Some are more activeley engaged in combatting this than you possibly are!

Furthermore I'm not bothered if you don't believe in God, or religion or don't want to take holidays enjoy your existence as I do mine:)

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 13:24 ----------

I'll not ask you to indicate the element of which you relate to but it's quite obvious and only reasonable that evil in any form should be rejected!

Edited by bulldog D

I suggest you look at the term human being outside the dictionary definition, especially in the theological, philosophical sense and then you will be able to gain an insight into what I meant by lessen the human being:)

How does one "lessen a human being"?

I'm confused by the term. What does it involve?

The first bit contained a decent question the rest of it was a rant

The first of your statement, the bit I ignored, was reasonable. Of course many people of faith have doubt. I cherry picked the bits that I wanted you to elaborate on - so I could understand.

God or religions that persecute, I don't believe in them either. That's not my God nor my religion.

That may be correct in your case. But there are those with God belief and religion who differ - many of whom may say they follow the same God and religion as you.

Further more my abject apologies if you felt personally ridiculed that was not my intention. I don't intentionally ridicule anyone.

Nothing you said rediculed me. I was simply trying to make sense of your post and what you meant.

I'm quite aware of those views, and if that's what you meant, here's your opportunity to be more specific. Please, tell us how militant atheists lessen human being.

I also think you might find that most reasonable religious people have an aversion to extreme religious fundamentalists that corrupt, not just atheists!

Never said reasonable religious people didn't have an aversion to religious extremists. So you are making an irrelevant point.

I'll not ask you to indicate the element of which you relate to but it's quite obvious and only reasonable that evil in any form should be rejected!

Those elements of religion don't see their non-evidence faith-based views, and insistence on imposing those views, as evil. Not only do they think they have the "God given authority" to do what they do, but they also think it's for the "greater good".

Edited by Ryedo40