Me ne suis pas Charlie

Its disappointing the thread in question was removed, not only because of it being a major news event, but also because there were so many interesting contributions.

I would have welcomed the usual intervention or comment from a moderator prior to the decision, but perhaps the reason they chose to remove it is due to reported complaints, and lack of time to deal with offending posts.

One does wonder when the motive behind the murders at Charlie Hebdo was a desire to curtail peoples freedom of discussion and expression. It seems that they have succeeded to some extent. However Charlie Hebdo has upped its publication run from a few thousand to 3 million. So it seems there are a few folk who think our freedoms are worth fighting for, even if a minority amongst us wants to impose their jaded views on society.

A religion that is frightened of being questioned is a pretty insecure religion.

France's government is weak, it's economy rotten and unemployment very high. There are 6 million Muslims also.

They feel alienated because of the lack of jobs, opportunities and a feeling of being apart from the rest of the community.

Their feelings are similar to how black Americans felt decades ago

Open discussions about concerns on either sides would achieve very little. The concerns are quite apparent . A change of government with better ideas on how to manage the economy and above all create jobs is a better solution

One does wonder when the motive behind the murders at Charlie Hebdo was a desire to curtail peoples freedom of discussion and expression. It seems that they have succeeded to some extent. However Charlie Hebdo has upped its publication run from a few thousand to 3 million. So it seems there are a few folk who think our freedoms are worth fighting for, even if a minority amongst us wants to impose their jaded views on society.

A religion that is frightened of being questioned is a pretty insecure religion.

My bold=

Where was the freedom of expression when France banned the Burka?

What about the burka wearers freedom of expression?

It's double standards like this that are the problem as mentioned in this link=

http://rt.com/politics/221671-kadyrov-chechnya-charlie-hebdo/

Edited by mafya

France's government is weak, it's economy rotten and unemployment very high. There are 6 million Muslims also.

They feel alienated because of the lack of jobs, opportunities and a feeling of being apart from the rest of the community.

Their feelings are similar to how black Americans felt decades ago

Open discussions about concerns on either sides would achieve very little. The concerns are quite apparent . A change of government with better ideas on how to manage the economy and above all create jobs is a better solution

Re my bold.

One of us is confused.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11276952/US-braced-for-race-unrest-after-chokehold-verdict.html

The choke hold incidents and police shootings have no connection to the situation in America in past years. These are isolated incidents completely unlike how millions of black Americans were second class citizens during that period.

It may not be completely perfect still but things have come a long, long way in the meantime

seems theres a lot of unanswered questions regarding what happened in paris.

iIe seen links disappear today from here but if you search false flag paris on youtube theres getting quite a lot to make you wonder what really happened.

seems theres a lot of unanswered questions regarding what happened in paris.

iIe seen links disappear today from here but if you search false flag paris on youtube theres getting quite a lot to make you wonder what really happened.

Reach for the tinfoil, the conspiracy freaks are on one.

My bold=

It's double standards like this that are the problem.....

What double standards ?

The ban wasnt just a ban on the Burqa , the ban also includes balaclavas and hoods and was implemented to encourage its citizens to "live together" . It wasnt an attack on muslim women at all .

Id love a similar ban in the UK too

My bold=

It's double standards like this that are the problem as mentioned in this link=

http://rt.com/politics/221671-kadyrov-chechnya-charlie-hebdo/

The Burkha was banned for practical reasons, not because France doesn't like that particular expression. Poor comparison. A better comparison is Malaysia banning non Muslims from saying Allah.

The Burkha was banned for practical reasons, not because France doesn't like that particular expression. Poor comparison. A better comparison is Malaysia banning non Muslims from saying Allah.

As I said its double standards, read my post again and you will see I'm on about freedom of expression which has been denied to the burka wearer...

---------- Post added 13-01-2015 at 18:50 ----------

What double standards ?

The ban wasnt just a ban on the Burqa , the ban also includes balaclavas and hoods and was implemented to encourage its citizens to "live together" . It wasnt an attack on muslim women at all .

Id love a similar ban in the UK too

Who said it was an attack on muslim women because I didn't?