Me ne suis pas Charlie

I came across an interesting thought experiment here - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/charlie-hebdo-free-speech_b_6462584.html?1421160931&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

''Consider also the "thought experiment" offered by the Oxford philosopher Brian Klug. Imagine, he writes, if a man had joined the "unity rally" in Paris on 11 January "wearing a badge that said 'Je suis Chérif'" - the first name of one of the Charlie Hebdo gunmen. Suppose, Klug adds, he carried a placard with a cartoon mocking the murdered journalists. "How would the crowd have reacted?... Would they have seen this lone individual as a hero, standing up for liberty and freedom of speech? Or would they have been profoundly offended?" Do you disagree with Klug's conclusion that the man "would have been lucky to get away with his life"?''

What do you think?

I think that they would most likely have been assaulted, possibly seriously.

Not that this is an excuse for anyone of course, just a prediction about what would have happened.

They weren't banned in buildings. They were banned in public!

What's your view on someone on a motorbike wearing a full face helmet? :roll:

I think full face helmets are an excellent idea. Especially the full face ones. They stop things flying into your face whilst riding. However a burqa does absolutely sod all, other than to keep the woman covered up, as apparently she is the property of someone else.

But both are pretty handy if the wearer looks like a bulldog licking urine off a thistle.

I came across an interesting thought experiment here - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/charlie-hebdo-free-speech_b_6462584.html?1421160931&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

''Consider also the "thought experiment" offered by the Oxford philosopher Brian Klug. Imagine, he writes, if a man had joined the "unity rally" in Paris on 11 January "wearing a badge that said 'Je suis Chérif'" - the first name of one of the Charlie Hebdo gunmen. Suppose, Klug adds, he carried a placard with a cartoon mocking the murdered journalists. "How would the crowd have reacted?... Would they have seen this lone individual as a hero, standing up for liberty and freedom of speech? Or would they have been profoundly offended?" Do you disagree with Klug's conclusion that the man "would have been lucky to get away with his life"?''

What do you think?

If the thought experiment is an attempt to explain the behaviour of the murderers then it fails. It is more equivalent to a man that throws a pig's head into a mosque. Both actions could be seen as incitement, and both men could risk arrest. Both men could also risk an ugly response from a mob, because a group of people will always include a number who are easily motivated to violence. However, if violence was to happen it would remain the fault of those that commit it.

Besides, many people have declared their allegiance with the murderers, with no retribution other than angry words.

Quenelle comedian Dieudonné praises terrorist killer: 'As far as I am concerned, I feel I am Charlie Coulibaly'

Selective freedoms when it suits are not acceptable and human terrorists killed these people and not any God.

Muslims, Jews and Christians worship the same God in case you didn't realise....:rolleyes:

Yes, they all worship a man made figment of their imagination which dosnt exist , yet they all let this fictional "person" rule their lives .

Yes, they all worship a man made figment of their imagination which dosnt exist , yet they all let this fictional "person" rule their lives .

Stop trying to impose your non belief onto others.....:hihi:

No, but what's that got to do with anything?[

Did I ask you? No. I asked the organ grinder not his monkey. You are just the excuse maker. I want to know from a Muslim if he thinks the murderers are now in heaven.

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 00:04 ----------

Stop trying to impose your non belief onto others.....:hihi:

Do you think the terrorists are in heaven now?

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 00:07 ----------

What's your view on someone on a motorbike wearing a full face helmet? :roll:

Riding a motorbike down the M1... Fine

Not on a motorbike, getting on the London Underground ...Not fine. :roll::roll::roll:

Edited by roosterboost

Did I ask you? No. I asked the organ grinder not his monkey. You are just the excuse maker. I want to know from a Muslim if he thinks the murderers are now in heaven.

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 00:04 ----------

Do you think the terrorists are in heaven now?

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 00:07 ----------

Riding a motorbike down the M1... Fine

Not on a motorbike, getting on the London Underground ...Not fine. :roll::roll::roll:

And in between, walking down the street... Having parked the motorbike... Should that be illegal? Of course not.

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 07:36 ----------

If the thought experiment is an attempt to explain the behaviour of the murderers then it fails. It is more equivalent to a man that throws a pig's head into a mosque. Both actions could be seen as incitement, and both men could risk arrest. Both men could also risk an ugly response from a mob, because a group of people will always include a number who are easily motivated to violence. However, if violence was to happen it would remain the fault of those that commit it.

Besides, many people have declared their allegiance with the murderers, with no retribution other than angry words.

Quenelle comedian Dieudonné praises terrorist killer: 'As far as I am concerned, I feel I am Charlie Coulibaly'

Hardly. The thought experiment is exercising the same free speech that the marchers were marching for.

I'm sure that a proportion wouldn't have understood that though.

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 07:37 ----------

I think full face helmets are an excellent idea. Especially the full face ones. They stop things flying into your face whilst riding. However a burqa does absolutely sod all, other than to keep the woman covered up, as apparently she is the property of someone else.

I don't like the garment. But unless you can read minds then you have to accept it when many muslim women tell you that they wish to wear it.

It's nothing to do with being property, or a man, it's what they want to wear.

How can you tell someone what to do, in the name of freedom?

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 07:38 ----------

No?

Why then was It banned along with other face coverings?

Smokescreen quite obviously. :roll: