Your Income: Where do you fit in?

I think that the concept of disposable income varies too much. Most of my income is spent on providing for my care needs, so although it's not an 'unavoidable tax' it's a pretty unavoidable cost. Without those costs I'd be a lot more comfortable than I am.

There's only one real definition of disposable income and that is earnings minus unavoidable tax, basically PAYE and council tax.

Discretionary income is what's left after you pay mortgage/rent/food/medical/fuel/pensions etc - and that's where people debate. Is a phone "essential" or does that come from discretionary income? Is house insurance discretionary etc...

---------- Post added 16-01-2015 at 13:52 ----------

According to this, my annual earnings is 92% more than the rest of the population..

I can now tell you now, my lifestyle certainly doesn't reflect that! :(

I think you mean more than 92% of the population.

If you really are earning 92% more money than all of us put together, then can I cadge a bit please? 5 million or so will see me right :)

There's only one real definition of disposable income and that is earnings minus unavoidable tax, basically PAYE and council tax.

Discretionary income is what's left after you pay mortgage/rent/food/medical/fuel/pensions etc - and that's where people debate. Is a phone "essential" or does that come from discretionary income? Is house insurance discretionary etc...

---------- Post added 16-01-2015 at 13:52 ----------

I think you mean more than 92% of the population.

If you really are earning 92% more money than all of us put together, then can I cadge a bit please? 5 million or so will see me right :)

Hahahaaa

Yes I think you are right! :hihi:

Wish I was earning that much! I'd definitely chuck you 5 million :thumbsup:

I think that the concept of disposable income varies too much. Most of my income is spent on providing for my care needs, so although it's not an 'unavoidable tax' it's a pretty unavoidable cost. Without those costs I'd be a lot more comfortable than I am.

That's an unusual requirement though.

Most people have a fairly predictable set of unavoidable costs, and everything else is a choice.

Discretionary income is what's left after you pay mortgage/rent/food/medical/fuel/pensions etc - and that's where people debate. Is a phone "essential" or does that come from discretionary income? Is house insurance discretionary etc..

I understand the definitions, so maybe I ought to remove the large proportion of income upon which I pay tax but don't even see because it pays for care.

EDIT TO ADD- and when I do that it drops our family down 3 deciles down to below the median, as I expected.

Edited by medusa