Car not starting/ but turning over

Hello

Just replaced the battery on car and it started up first time,tried a few more times after that and all ok,put battery on charge befor fitting so fully charged,

Now gone to start it tonite and it fired up but conked out,tried a few more time and its just turning over wont fire up,imobilisers is ok not stopping it,been working ok till battery change,not had time to check with it being dark,so not sure whats happened,its a rover car could it be the crank sensor,

Usually the immobiliser has 2 fuses on these cars.

One under the bonnet and one in the car.

Check both of these.

I am no expert, so happy to be corrected

But if the engine turns over, then have we not got beyond the immobiliser? A dead immobiliser would mean no electrics? More of a question than a statement

I am no expert, so happy to be corrected

But if the engine turns over, then have we not got beyond the immobiliser? A dead immobiliser would mean no electrics? More of a question than a statement

Depends on the immobiliser.

Some switch off multiple circuits, usually starter, ignition and fuel pump.

It is possible that starter circuit is powered, but maybe not one of the others.

I would also suggest that the OP listens to see if the fuel pump primes when the ignition is switched to the on position.

It is worth checking all the fuses anyway, as they are cheap and simple to replace.

Edit to add, it is also worth checking the wiring to the tailgate (if it's a hatchback), as sometimes the grommet breaks, and the wires for the boot lock can wear and short out.