Halifax Mortgage Insurance

Is anyone having problems trying to make a claim on their Halifax Mortgage Insurance?

I ask because I am still fighting to get my claim paid since April last year.

If anyone has cover with the Halifax but is only working part time check your policy as they will not pay out if you do not pay NI contributions on your earnings. I have paid my premium on time every month since I had my mortgage. Last year my OH lost his job and I lost mine through ill health so we were advised to make a claim by the bank. It was refused because I didn't pay NI on my earnings as I worked part time. I had a successful claim in 2008 but have been informed I can never make another one....so in that case why continue to pay on a policy which is useless???:rant::huh:

Is anyone having problems trying to make a claim on their Halifax Mortgage Insurance?

I ask because I am still fighting to get my claim paid since April last year.

If anyone has cover with the Halifax but is only working part time check your policy as they will not pay out if you do not pay NI contributions on your earnings. I have paid my premium on time every month since I had my mortgage. Last year my OH lost his job and I lost mine through ill health so we were advised to make a claim by the bank. It was refused because I didn't pay NI on my earnings as I worked part time. I had a successful claim in 2008 but have been informed I can never make another one....so in that case why continue to pay on a policy which is useless???:rant::huh:

They all love to take your money but when a claim goes in they dust off the book of excuses and get outs.

I had a phone call today at 4pm from the Halifax to say my claim was going to be paid, but then he retracted it when he discovered I didn't pay NI on my earnings while off sick!

Write a letter of complaint to Halifax and reference the financial ombudsman.

Raise the following points

It was not made clear at the start of the policy that it would not be valid if you didn't pay NI

That you have continued to pay the premiums since 2008 despite the fact it was made invalid by the previous claim.

Explain that as a provider of large amounts of credit, that they have a duty of care to ensure that their vulnerable customers are informed of both of the above points.

I cancelled my mortgage insurance with the Halifax after I'd got to the end of the period for which they would pay and hadn't been able to return to work and it became clear that I would not be able to claim in future no matter what happened further on down the line. Notably, the Halifax didn't inform me that I would not be able to make another claim (they just kept taking the money for the insurance until I went down there to request them to stop).

I think that a lot of mortgage insurance is very similar to the whole PPI loan insurance scam to be honest. The conditions when you may or may not be able to place a claim which pays out are not fully explained to the applicant and an air of 'if something goes wrong you'll be covered' is all that is put forward. It wasn't until lots of people had gone to the ombudsman that even rules were produced which stopped the mortgage companies from pushing this sort of insurance to people who they KNEW would never be able to claim upon it.

I'm one of very few people for whom a PPI case would be needless because when I fell ill I did claim on pretty much everything and had my mortgage, credit cards and loan all paid by the insurance that I had on them, but I still feel that a lot of the time the terms and conditions are not at all clear and the companies use that for their own benefit.