Hyundai - footbrake problem.

Occasionally, when setting off in the morning, when I first use the footbrake, it feels as though something is blocking its depression. The brake works with reduced efficiency. I stop the car and press on footbrake pedal for 10 seconds and the pedal then works normally. I can then drive hundreds of miles with no problem. Yesterday the car was parked on the road overnight and when my wife stopped at the end of the road, she overshot some 2 metres into the main road. My mechanic is going to inspect it but is puzzled as to why it happens so infrequently (12 times in 4 years) and why it only happens after overnight parking. Anyone else had this problem?

Occasionally, when setting off in the morning, when I first use the footbrake, it feels as though something is blocking its depression. The brake works with reduced efficiency. I stop the car and press on footbrake pedal for 10 seconds and the pedal then works normally. I can then drive hundreds of miles with no problem. Yesterday the car was parked on the road overnight and when my wife stopped at the end of the road, she overshot some 2 metres into the main road. My mechanic is going to inspect it but is puzzled as to why it happens so infrequently (12 times in 4 years) and why it only happens after overnight parking. Anyone else had this problem?

When was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

Edited by davyboy
Typo

When was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

How's that relevant? Read the post properly.

Its likely to be a servo master cylinder or related problem,or even something going on in the abs unit.

What it isn't is brake fluid quality, that wont change.It is what it is and if it was bad enough to have a dramatic effect it would do it constantly causing a spongy pedal at the very least.

How's that relevant? Read the post properly.

Its likely to be a servo master cylinder or related problem,or even something going on in the abs unit.

What it isn't is brake fluid quality, that wont change.It is what it is and if it was bad enough to have a dramatic effect it would do it constantly causing a spongy pedal at the very least.

I stand corrected.

Whatever it is, you should get it sorted at the dealer. Hyundai's come with long warranties as well, don't they? Like KIA and so on?

Whats so special about dealers then? :) Just curious?

Im my experience the only thing they fix is the prices :)

Whats so special about dealers then? :) Just curious?

Im my experience the only thing they fix is the prices :)

Did you miss the bit about warranty? It might be a fault that was cause for a recall that didn't filter through to the OP for whatever reason.

Did you miss the bit about warranty? It might be a fault that was cause for a recall that didn't filter through to the OP for whatever reason.

i didnt miss the warrenty i just assumed that someone who had questioned

" why it happens so infrequently (12 times in 4 years) "

would have already taken it back had it been under warrenty.

There could well be a recal worth a tel call but a recal wont last forever, free.

It would concern me greatly that someone who had serious brake issues 12 times in 4 years had taken no action at all.