Should Supermarkets provide bigger car park spaces for prestige cars?

I've been to the supermarkets in an E class mercedes as well as Home bargains!

Oh was it you in that taxi at the Asda:hihi::hihi:

I think the OP had Range Rovers, Land Rovers, special BMW's etc in mind. I'd draw the line at anything above an Aston for the shopping run. after all one wouldn't wish to look like a poseur spreading envy amongst the lower ranks would one!:)

But that's me................thoughtful and considerate:)

One thing that does sort of get my goat is that parking places don't seem to be growing whereas it is pretty clear that cars are. Driving a V70 (by no means a prestige car, plenty of them about) you quickly realise this...

I think there is more to this. Plenty of sensible sized saloon hatchbacks and super minis are still available.

I think what is becoming more of a problem is the faux aspirations of people and sheep mentality that has developed in recent years.

Look at a certain group of parents. We all know who they are. None of them can imagine insisting on owning anything smaller than the size of a army jeep just to make them feel that they are transporting little Deliah and Tarqin safely each day. These yummy mummies then clog up the supermarket car park and take up 3 spaces of street parking when they pop for coffee and then proceed to block up half the road when they insist on parking bang outside the school gates, just in case their little dahlings have to walk more than 2 yards.

Then we have a certain group of retirees. The ones who insist that they must have a SUV or Estate just because they own a jack Russell and occasionally take it for a walk or just because they may occasionally buy a pot plant from the garden centre.

and then of course there is the ridiculous trend that certain people insist their car must be some sort of 4x4. The ones who demand that sort of "facility" just because we have a piffle of snow twice a year.

All this has created a situation where a large amount of the populous are driving the equivalent of off road jeeps, people carriers, despatch vans and prestige saloons just to go to work or the bloody supermarket.

The actual purpose of why these vehicles exist has been completely lost and I can bet that at least 2/3 of the sales of such vehicles are for city dwellers who don't need them for any of the reasons they are designed for.

That in my mind is absolutely ludicrous and unless it stops now, we are going to have a real problem. Yes, car parks are not designed for such vehicles but I doubt that designers of urban underground and multi storey car parks expected half of their users to be driving off road trucks. They were designed for cars. Cars which should be the type of car used for urban locations.

I would rather these types not be encouraged by creating bigger spaces.

Now, before I receive the inevitable shouting down, I am not saying that EVERY user of one of the above vehicles is doing it unnecessarily and SOME may have a genuine use for one and thus will have a legit reason to park in such places.

However, I simply do not believe that every user of the above actually NEEDS it.

I think there is more to this. Plenty of sensible sized saloon hatchbacks and super minis are still available.

I think what is becoming more of a problem is the faux aspirations of people and sheep mentality that has developed in recent years.

Look at a certain group of parents. We all know who they are. None of them can imagine insisting on owning anything smaller than the size of a army jeep just to make them feel that they are transporting little Deliah and Tarqin safely each day. These yummy mummies then clog up the supermarket car park and take up 3 spaces of street parking when they pop for coffee and then proceed to block up half the road when they insist on parking bang outside the school gates, just in case their little dahlings have to walk more than 2 yards.

Then we have a certain group of retirees. The ones who insist that they must have a SUV or Estate just because they own a jack Russell and occasionally take it for a walk or just because they may occasionally buy a pot plant from the garden centre.

and then of course there is the ridiculous trend that certain people insist their car must be some sort of 4x4. The ones who demand that sort of "facility" just because we have a piffle of snow twice a year.

All this has created a situation where a large amount of the populous are driving the equivalent of off road jeeps, people carriers, despatch vans and prestige saloons just to go to work or the bloody supermarket.

The actual purpose of why these vehicles exist has been completely lost and I can bet that at least 2/3 of the sales of such vehicles are for city dwellers who don't need them for any of the reasons they are designed for.

That in my mind is absolutely ludicrous and unless it stops now, we are going to have a real problem. Yes, car parks are not designed for such vehicles but I doubt that designers of urban underground and multi storey car parks expected half of their users to be driving off road trucks. They were designed for cars. Cars which should be the type of car used for urban locations.

I would rather these types not be encouraged by creating bigger spaces.

Now, before I receive the inevitable shouting down, I am not saying that EVERY user of one of the above vehicles is doing it unnecessarily and SOME may have a genuine use for one and thus will have a legit reason to park in such places.

However, I simply do not believe that every user of the above actually NEEDS it.

I see your point and not going to shout you down, I wouldn't dream of it!. it's not that many years ago where if you had one car in the family you were seen as fortunate. In reality most families would exist quite happily with something like a Golf / Focus but there's now so much choice, cheap credit and the need to run a a hyper speed lifestyle that two vehicles per house are seen as the norm.

Yes, absolutely. Or preferably their own roped-off section of the car park, with a little man in a tasselled uniform to give each car a complimentary polish while you're pushing the trolly around the aisles, and a friendly wave as you depart.

Someone of such eminence wouldn't be doing their own shopping at a supermarket surely.

Because bigger motors with bigger engines are better. I wouldnt be seen dead in one of those silly little shopping trolley sized cars with an engine with less power than my lawnmover.

Bigger doesn't mean better. My f type is tiny.

Wouldn't be seen dead in a land rover though. Horrible things, shame they've merged with jag. Hate to see them linked to the box on wheels.

Bigger doesn't mean better. My f type is tiny.

Wouldn't be seen dead in a land rover though. Horrible things, shame they've merged with jag. Hate to see them linked to the box on wheels.

Been making them for over 50 years , must have something about them. :)

I have a landrover Discovery and a Range Rover, ive not driven owt else since i passed my test over 30 years ago.

Park at the back of the car park where lazy, careless people like me will never venture. I will waste ten minutes crawling back and forth in my car to park in the front row and many others will do with the first five.

So retreating to the relative safety of the back end of the car park seems like a sensible option for anybody with a car which could be easily damaged by a feckless, reckless oaf such as I.