Britain's first school for LGBT pupils

As a gay man I was very interested to read about the possibility of a school to open in Manchester to cater for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgendered pupils who have been bullied in mainstream education

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2912249/Britain-s-gay-school-Youth-group-unveils-controversial-plan-help-bullied-LGBT-pupils-Manchester.html

I genuinely have mixed feelings about this. I'm against ghettoising people with regards to public services (be it in the provision of education, or housing on the basis of religion or any other grounds), and feel that such a school for youngsters is an admission of failure on the part of mainstream education.

However with the sad case of Ayden Olson (young gay teen driven to suicide) being one of many deaths that are swept under the carpet, I can see something needs to be done.

If there is to be segregation, why not have a school for the bullies and the teachers who do nothing to stop it happening, and let gay kids benefit from integration? I know that's a provocative way of putting it, but it honestly sums up how I feel.

As a gay man I was very interested to read about the possibility of a school to open in Manchester to cater for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgendered pupils who have been bullied in mainstream education

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2912249/Britain-s-gay-school-Youth-group-unveils-controversial-plan-help-bullied-LGBT-pupils-Manchester.html

I genuinely have mixed feelings about this. I'm against ghettoising people with regards to public services (be it in the provision of education, or housing on the basis of religion or any other grounds), and feel that such a school for youngsters is an admission of failure on the part of mainstream education.

However with the sad case of Ayden Olson (young gay teen driven to suicide) being one of many deaths that are swept under the carpet, I can see something needs to be done.

If there is to be segregation, why not have a school for the bullies and the teachers who do nothing to stop it happening, and let gay kids benefit from integration? I know that's a provocative way of putting it, but it honestly sums up how I feel.[/QUote]

As a straight man with kids and grand kids, I totally agree. We are all who we are and I would not welcome this sort of segregation as it it would not help any of us.

However if there has to be segregation I would put the bullies in a separate school. Maybe we could call it borstal.

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

How can school children be transgendered? Surely they are too young (legally) to have this kind of surgery?

Presumably it relates to the psychology of trsnsgenderism rather than the operation.

As to the OP I can't think of a worse solution to the problem (well, not a legal one anyway).

jb

I agree. It would be rather like setting up a separate school for people with red hair, or black skin.

The key is to educate the non-LGBT population to be more tolerant.

I don't have a problem with schools for people with red hair!

Only joking.:)

I feel the same about education for children with special needs (SEN), but parents choose segregation.

I feel the same about education for children with special needs (SEN), but parents choose segregation.

Not all parents. And when the difference (from other pupils) is directly related to educational need, and the child has problems learning or accessing the normal curriculum, it is obviously easier to justify special education centres than it is to justify schools based on the pupils' sexuality, which is nothing to do with how they learn.