Britain's first school for LGBT pupils

I feel the same about education for children with special needs (SEN), but parents choose segregation.

I feel the same about a night out here in Sheffield for adults with special needs. My daughter has special needs and goes to a 'proper' night club if she wants to.

I agree. It would be rather like setting up a separate school for people with red hair, or black skin.

The key is to educate the non-LGBT population to be more tolerant.

Unfortunately according to Stonewall many gay teachers also experience homophobic abuse from their colleagues, many of them also complain about that old chestnut 'Section 28' (which applied to Local Authorities). The point here is what if teachers and its pupils refuse to be educated to be more tolerant.

Even the letter that was sent out by the school to parents and pupils following Ayden Olsen suicide, made reference to 'internet suicide sites', and support available for those affected by Ayden's death, but made no reference to the bullying that had led to his suicide.

It does feel that many schools are lacksidasical in their approach to homophobic bullying in schools, and that could be for a number of reasons

Edited by Mister M

Gay children educated at one of these schools are going to have to enter the real world at some point, whether it be 6th form, university or work. Some people are homophobic and they need to accept this, obviously this does not mean homophobic bullying in schools is acceptable but standing up for yourself and being strong enough to ignore or rebute stupid insults is part of growing up and part of what schools are there for. Kids pick on each other for a multitude of reasons, we don't have special schools for kids with ginger hair, or with glasses, or fat kids, or skinny kids, or kids with spots, or ears that stick out. By singling out sexual orientation as the one thing that warrants building a seperate school for you just make things worse.

Gay children educated at one of these schools are going to have to enter the real world at some point, whether it be 6th form, university or work. Some people are homophobic and they need to accept this, obviously this does not mean homophobic bullying in schools is acceptable but standing up for yourself and being strong enough to ignore or rebute stupid insults is part of growing up and part of what schools are there for. Kids pick on each other for a multitude of reasons, we don't have special schools for kids with ginger hair, or with glasses, or fat kids, or skinny kids, or kids with spots, or ears that stick out. By singling out sexual orientation as the one thing that warrants building a seperate school for you just make things worse.

Maybe the pupils can develop the coping strategies at the LGBT school?

I'm really torn here. I know adults who had a nightmare at school due to homophobic bullying. However, I honestly do think things have got better in general, but nowhere near as good as they should be.

I think the long term answer is better education in schools on the issue of sexuality. I also think that all school staff should be trained and be made fully aware of their responsibilities to LGBT children.

For me, I'd like to see all kids together, rather than segregaytion (sorry!). Maybe the school idea for LGBT pupils should be shelved and instead they should be investing in actually canvassing the opinions on the experiences of LGBT pupils in Britain and using this as a basis to create good quality free resources as part of a programme for schools to use with staff and pupils (perhaps making it law that all schools have to deliver the programme) and have a named person in school for pupils to go to if they experience homophobic bullying?

Edited by Mr Bloom

I think it would be such a sad state of affairs for LGBT students to be segregated, as it would make it seem it's then that's in the wrong when it absolutely is not!!!

On the other hand I understand the security of somewhere where a student would feel safe and confident to be themselves without fear of being bullied would be a good thing, but they need to know that the one's in the wrong are the bullies. By separating students in this way it's almost bowing to the wants of the bullies.

Growing up my best friend was always interested in girls rather than boys and has been in a couple of long term relationships with other females, however I can hand on heart say there was never any bullying at our school over this (not that I ever knew of anyway), and there were a couple of gay lads too that seemed perfectly happy and weren't bullied, but I imagine that's sadly unusual.

I will never understand anyone's issue with homosexuals, it doesn't make them a bad person, doesn't change who they are or how they treat friends, family etc. it's just an aspect of their life and they should be able to enjoy a loving relationship like every other individual.

I don't know if it's parents or teachers responsibilities to teach young people about understanding and acceptance, or if anything will change certain individuals views. I guess some people just are bigoted. It's sad!!!

Kids should be in school to learn an education, not to be bullies or deciding what team to bat for.

Schools allow peoples too much freedom of expression etc nowadays.

You're their to learn academics, NOT how to give another people a good shoeing or to stare at someones behind.

Kids should be in school to learn an education, not to be bullies or deciding what team to bat for.

Schools allow peoples too much freedom of expression etc nowadays.

You're their to learn academics, NOT how to give another people a good shoeing or to stare at someones behind.

I think you're trolling.

But just in case you really are that reactionary, lots of young people question their sexuality, that's just a normal part of growing up. It's not about schools allowing freedom of expression....They allow young straight people to talk openly about their feelings without fear of being bullied, why not the same for gay kids?

Also I think kids go to school to learn much more than what they teach you in lessons. You learn about social skills, your place in the world, confidence, time keeping, esteem etc. Teenagers are developing into sexual beings with their hormones raging of course their going to develop crushes and look at others in a sexual way :rolleyes: