J.R.James archive

I know that this archive has been touched upon previously on these pages, but I've only just got around to having a proper look. So for those like me who missed it, its a little goldmine of a collection. The link will take you to the first frame in the series, just keep clicking on the right to view the rest.

LINK

Some great photos of old Sheffield streets. It is a shame that some didn't specify which street it was. But fascinating all the same.

I echo your thoughts Minimo. Some dates missing also.

Having said that, I have some 1500 slides of that era, which I preferred rather than prints, for their clarity. They are mostly of family outings though. I know only too well that one meant to get around to recording all place names and dates at that time, but by the time the developed prints had been returned, one had moved on. It was difficult to record at the time, unlike today's technology.

I particularly enjoyed the views of the Sheffield council housing which is no longer with us, as I used to walk miles around those streets in the mid '70s/early '80s as a council rent collector.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Great pictures. I use to stay at my Aunty and Uncles newsagents in Gower Street back in the fifties and got to know Sheffield, especially the city, quite well. In my early twenties I work from the Brooke Bond Tea van sales depot in Farm Road so got to know even more of Sheffield. Many of my friends who enjoyed walking and climbing came from Sheffield so looking at these pictures brought back many happy memories of a great city with great people.

I wonder how nostalgic the 2013 photos will appear in 2053...

Indeed....... and goes to prove how important it is to save your pics somewhere. Photographs seem to be almost disposable these days with so many devices on which to capture them. What appears to be a quite unremarkable photo today, may be of great significance in years to come.